Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New Graphics

hmj_skast

Could anyone give me some advice on a new graphics card.

I have recently bought a Geforce4 Ti4200 128 MB, but found out that it doesn't really do the job, when it comes to CAD/CAM especially Pro/E.

I'm a student, so I don't have unlimited funds!

Thank you for your help!

Henrik

At work I use both an old P3 1ghz with a 3D labs GVX1 and a athlon XP2200+ with a quadro 4 750XL

At home I have an 1.4 Ghz athlon and a GeForce 4 Ti4400. From looking at all these machines running Pro/E the GeForce runs it just fine, The quado is noticibly faster, particularly in wireframe (but the machine has a lot more power too), the speed differance certainly isn't worth the cost unless your spending company money.

I couldn't recomend any graphics card under $300 thats going to do a better job than what you have. Do get the latest drivers though.

I was about to ask a question about my system that has graphics problems with a GeForce Ti4400 running on an Athlon XP 2000+ processor and with 526 megs of RAM. Two bugs are slight annoyances, one makes ProE very difficult to use.

When I rotate a part, the rotation is smooth, but little black boxes pop up in the window, kinda like static. Also, I can't used crtl+D or crtl+A to go to default view or activate a window. I don't use any other keyboard short cuts, so I don't know if they work or not, but I have no problem using crtl to pan, spin, or zoom.

The major problem comes in scetcher mode. The lines all show up without a problem until I try to draw more lines, circles, points, arcs, etc. Then they dissapear on me. When I click on the pointer or go to create constraints/dimensions, then all the lines show up just fine again. This makes drawing a very tedious process because I'm never sure of what I'm drawing until I finish.

Any help?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back