Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing parameter from part

cpodom

Is it possible to create a part parameter (DESCRIPTION) that will automatically fill out the drawing parameter (DESCRIPTION:d)? We commonly use the driven parameters from our parts to fill out the title blocks in our drawings. The only drawback is that the drawing does not have a description showing in Intralink unless the drawing parameter is filled out as well.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Actually it is possible.

First create a parameter called description in drawing parameters as string.

Then in drawing go to tools / drawing program / edit program

Click on insert line and write description:d=description:0

and ok.

If you get a message "Program successfully parsed." then everything is OK

View attachment 4057

smiley5.gif
if i have a parameter in part named DISCRIPTION. and in drawing format or drawing, i type &DISCRIPTION won't it show the same value of discription as mentioned in part?

kindly let me know if i am going wrong..........

Try creating a table cell in the drawing format file. In the cell add &description I thick it may be case sensitive. Save and close the format file. Open the drawing file then add the model file, reattach the format make sure to replace all tables when reattaching the format.. The parameter value from the part file should fill in the description cell in the drawing file. Also make sure that the designate box for description is checked for the parameters.

Thank you all for the advice.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I will explain a little more in depth.

First we do use parameter driven notes (&description among others).
Starting from the beginning we create a component from our start part which prompts us at that time to enter a number of values for parameters which will then be read into our drawings which are created with drawing templates. While all of those parameters are visible on the drawing they are

I see ....but I don't think it's possible to create parameters from parts to drawings.

What I also do before I "check-in" the drawings & parts is to "modify" them in workspace and copy/paste the parts descriptionto drawings description. And I think the parameter is automatically created in drawing. I will have to look into this Monday morning at work. So it's just a copy/paste thing before you check-in in the parts.

Thats wat im also doing modify attributes right nw. Just right click over the new drw file in the workspace select modify or select the drw n press F2.Modify attributes dialogue box opens. In that we can modifyall the parametersby checkingconfigurations.

Any posiibility togenerate parameters automatically from the model in the workspace for the new drw files which we created. Thats wat cpodom askin abt?

Yes it's working from Intralink workspace to modify the attributes and the parameter description will be automatically created in your drawing parameters.

But I think (I don't really know all the details) you need to set description in Intralink as an attribute somewhere in the administration/object attributes.

Actually it is possible.

First create a parameter called description in drawing parameters as string.

Then in drawing go to tools / drawing program / edit program

Click on insert line and write description:d=description:0

and ok.

If you get a message "Program successfully parsed." then everything is OK

View attachment 4074

u mean if we create a parameter in drawing, it will automatically update the description in the workspace right. Let me try...

Ashok<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName>,</st1:personName><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Your method of using the drawing program does not seem to add any value to what I am trying to accomplish. If I have to wait until the drawing is created to add the parameter I am still doing more manual labor for every drawing. Your method cannot be added to a drawing template as it will not work without a model already associated.

The simplest route seems to be doing it thru the workspace; this does create a parameter in the drawing and I can add parameter values to the PDF at the same time.

Really i dont understand what cpodom is trying to say. But actually i tried Vlad's method, its throwing an error like "drawing program has an error" in the dashboard. I had given the parameters in the template for title is DESCRIPTION1 and DESCRIPTION2. What i need to do with that parameters to get description in the workspace automatically? Cud u explain the syntax what u had given in the drawing program?
smiley5.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back