Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimension parameter math

Rbrgr83

Ok, so I know that I can add dimensions into notes in the same way I would add parameters (i.e. &d5:1)

Asuming that the parameter is a real number and not a string, is it possible to do math with these dimensions??

For example, can I insert a dimension into a note with the method mentioned above (or some other method)and multipy it by 2.

I know that I could simply define parameter which is double of the dim in question and refer to it, but I'd like to know if it is possible to do this completely within the note itself.
(I like to keep tidy parameters
smiley9.gif
)

No you can't do that into a note.

Only if you make a relation in part like param=d15*2 then show this in drawing like &param

Related question:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

How do I use the above method and put unit labels immediately aftera parametric dim like that.

When you try to put a " or an in. or whatever directly after a parametric dimension, it gets absorbed into the parameter. You have to put a space after the parameter callout if you want the label to show up. As a result, you get things like 2.50 ". That looks like poop.
smiley21.gif

Any suggestions?? Let me know if I'm makingno sense.

Please explain what you are trying to do.

From where are you trying to add "? (in relations or note in drawing)

Charles

first define a parameter call param as string

then write in relations:

param=itos(d15*2)+quote

and in drawing show as &param

if d15 is 1.25 then param will be 2.50"

ah, nice workaround Vlad

Chuck, I was attempting to add labels in the note itself, immediately following the parameter callout. As I said if you add a lable immediately after a dim or param callout, it just gets cleared out (like an unnecisary suffix being chopped off).

However, in light of Vlad's method, it seems better to include the lable in the relation/parameter instead of trying to force it in the note.

Thanks guys

If you are adding it to a note in a drawing.

You can separate the parameter and other symbol by using {0:&parameter}symbol.

if d15 is (20.0)
param = d15*2

Put following in the note.
{0:&param}" then note should read 40.0"

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back