Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mastering Layers Q&A

kdem - Wow, I'm on M160 and yes I do have that option! I was certain that "look by quilt"was my only search option when "look for quilt" was selected, so I never investigated it after looking at your screenshots of WF5.

Thanks so much for your help, don't know why I couldn't figure this one out myself. I guess I had already convinced myself it wasn't possible! Finally, I have the layer rules working exactly how I want them to.

I had never tried it myself until I understood what you were after. I almost stoppedwith WF5 myself but thought I'd take a look since we have access to WF3, 4, and 5 although officially we WF3.

Well... ran into one last issue, but I'm quite certainthere's no way around this one.

The lastproblem is axes within extruded or revolved surfaces. If I layer off quilts (look for quilt, look by feature, type !=has thread), the axes contained in the quilts also get layered off with the quilt entities. Basically,layering off the quilt entityseems to operate the same as layering off the entire feature. Even without rules and manually selecting the quilts, it takes the axes with it.

Looks like I'm hitting a wall here, so I'm just giving up at this point and saying this is as close as I am going to get.

The only way around this I know of is to reference external or embedded datums. You run into problems with the embedded datums when you pattern since the datum doesn't pattern within the pattern instances.
Edited by: kdem

mekaneck said:
Well... ran into one last issue, but I'm quite certainthere's no way around this one.

The lastproblem is axes within extruded or revolved surfaces. If I layer off quilts (look for quilt, look by feature, type !=has thread), the axes contained in the quilts also get layered off with the quilt entities. Basically,layering off the quilt entityseems to operate the same as layering off the entire feature. Even without rules and manually selecting the quilts, it takes the axes with it.

Looks like I'm hitting a wall here, so I'm just giving up at this point and saying this is as close as I am going to get.

The only way that will be solved is if enough customers make an issue of it by calling the hotline and complaining. Register your vote, call the hotline.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back