Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reference patterns

dross

I've got a pattern of a group consisting of datum points and axes. This is a pattern of 525.

I'm trying to use this pattern as a reference for a series of 4 cuts and 1 chamfer that are grouped. When I create this reference pattern, it takes FOREVER to regenerate. (I've been waiting for 1/2 hour so far, seeing no progress - the message is stuck at "Regenerating xxx feature 1597 out of 4217...).

Any clues as to why it's so slow or how to fix it?
smiley5.gif

How do you start the surface copy command?

The first thing it says to do is select a starting surface and then a bounding surface. I'm working with a solid model, there are no surfaces. If I try to select a bounding surface, I get the whole protrusion...

Dross,

I suggest you spend some time practicing the selection techniques using the keys alt, shift, ctrl with the mouse picks.

http://www.ptc.com/community/proewf2/newtools/quick_referenc e.pdf

In your case, select a surface at the bottom of the feature like in the tutorial. When it changes color ( usually a pink depending on your colors and might require more than one click ) then you have selected that surface. It does not matter that the part is solid, you are making a copy of one face of it as a new surface. The second step is to select the boundary surface that forms the perimeter edge of the entire feature you are copying using the shift key and a click on that surface. Then the entire surface set within the perimeter of the boundary that you defined will be selected (turns pink) You can then copy that and proceed with the tutorial method.

cheers...

M

IT MIGHT ALSO HELP TO PATTERN THE FEATURES SEPARATELY INSTEAD OF IN A GROUP. BY DOING SO YOU CAN CREATE 5 REFERENCE PATTERNS AND CAN SUPPRESS THEM SEPARATELY. BY DOING THE PATTERN WITH A GROUP OF FEATURES YOU CAN ONLY SUPPRESS THEM ALL AT ONCE AND NOT SUPPRESS THEM INDIVIDUALY.

i'M KIND OF CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO PATTERN IS IT A SNEAKER TREAD PATTERN?

MICHAEL

Magneplanar, you don't understand what I'm saying. Obviously, some command needs to be invoked prior to selecting these surfaces, what command is it? I know how to select things, but I'm not seeing anywhere what command has been used.

mjcole, no, it's not for sneakers...
smiley36.gif
I ended up using a revolved cut instead of multiple features, this simplified it a bit, but it still took almost 20 minutes to regenerate.

Dross,

you sound a bit frustrated, we have all been there I would guess...I am able to select these type surfaces without activating any other function. The faces in a solid can be copied once you highlight them...However, you can try by selecting edit/copy first if that works for you. Just remember to keep clicking the surface until it is highlighted or right click and select from the list. Without seeing your model it is hard to estimate what else could be limiting the surface selection. You can also try ctrl- C to go to a copy mode as well...

any of this useful?

cheers,

M

I guess my features need to be created as surfaces in order to select surfaces, huh? They were created as solid cuts. I guess I've misunderstood the copy surfaces command. I thought you could copy surfaces of a solid...

you can copy solid faces and turn them into surfaces. that means any side or facet of a solid can be copied turning the copied face into a surface. try this on a simple square or other simple object then go back to your model...I am curious about your config file settings, but that is a distraction only...even with no config you should still be able to do this...

i cannot select the surfaces. When I toggle through the selections, I only get the cut and the protrusion that the cut is in.

dross,

To start the Copy Tool just make sure that Geometry option is selected in what I call the Dumb Select tool. Then you hit CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste the feature. Regretable given the set up you describle I don't believe that you can do a reference pattern for this because the reference is the feature.

I regret the day that Pro/E became the whore of the windows CTRL and Shift key functionality. Some programs like Alibre only require using the CTRL when selecting from a list and let your thumb take a rest when you are selecting from the screen.

Michael

The geometry filter does it!

Thanks for all your replies, you guys are great!
smiley20.gif

I figured it was probably something stupid.

The problem that I have with these patterns is that I am patterning very small features (some with edges lessthan .001" in length, whcih requires accuracy be set to a small value), using large pattern quantities on parts that are large relative to the features. This creates nightmares in re-generation time.

Dross,

Please note that the geometry filter is just that...a filter, you can still get by in "smart" mode, which allows selection of everything, by a few extra clicks. I was hoping to show you that you have access with the mouse and a button to this special feature of a boundary surface.
Changing the selection filter gets old and frustrating for me. I rarely change it unless in a 2d drawing. This is one of those things where you find what works for you and tailor your pro e use to your preference. If it speeds up your process then good for you...

mjcole

for a single surface you can do the whole process of copy and paste with just the mouse. For some multiple surfaces you can also use just the mouse depending on how you control the selection list, and your use of right click options. this can also be tailored with a mapkey. If you have a multi-button mouse and/or 3d controller you can reduce the keyboard use even more.

cheers,

M

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back