Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF2 Linux and gpost

Fegenbush

Running WF2 on linux, appropriate licenses apply, I can generate .ncl files, but seem to be unable to post them. Does anyone have any input on this problem? I receive the error "error type 1 detected" when I select the "MACHIN" option, and "Can't access list of available post processors, exiting" when I do not select it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Fegenbush

moz-screenshot.jpg
Support

Solution Details - TPI

Solution #

Type
TPI

Created Date
25-Jul-2003

Last Updated
28-Jul-2003

Title
GPOST Is Not Included With Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire for the Linux Platform.

Details

Additional Information

Description

-----------------

The CD or CDs for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire for the Linux platform do not
include GPOST, an external application for interpreting CL toolpath
files to a customized format for NC machining centers. When selecting
CL Data > Post Process, or Applications > NC Post Processor...
from Pro/ENGINEER's Manufacturing environment, neither GPOST nor its
Option File Editor program will be started, as they are not available.

Alternate Technique

-----------------

Post-process CL data files on a different platform where GPOST is available.

Resolution

-----------------

GPOST is an external application developed by Intercim. As they do not
currently support the Linux platform, there is no way for PTC to
include a Linux-compatible version of GPOST with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire.

While not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I suppose it leads to another question:

Is there a way to post process a .ncl file outside of proe?

I suppose I could write a program to do it, but that would be a lengthy process that I would rather avoid.

Thanks,

Fegenbush

Yes, there is an option to do this outside of Pro/E. That option does however, run on some versions of Unix, and Windows. At this point, though, it does not run on Linux.
You might want to contact the folks at Austin NC directly regarding this option, namely, CimPro.

CimPro is a tool that is used for developing posts, and creating tape files outside of the CAM system, Pro/E in this case. GPOST is a subset of sorts of the CimPro tool.

I'd suggest calling either Billy or Fred at Austin NC.
www.austinnc.com
512-458-1112

-tsl

We use PosteHaste from Ground Support at: http://www.postprocessor.com

While it is designed for Windows, it works fine in Linux if you use Wine. We have 17 CNC machining centers and Lathes from DMG, Fadal, OKK, Okuma, and Cincinnati. We use Pro/E on Linux and Post Haste on Linux (through Wine) for all our programming. We program everything offline.

Post Haste is fairly inexpensive. I believe they will provide a 30-day demo. You should only need one copy of Poste Haste for what you are doing. I may be able to help with installing Post Haste under Wine, as Ground Support does not support this directly.

PosteHaste is great for the price approx $800. I just demo'd them yesterday for a Centroid controller and now I am fully converted from Mastercam to Pro NC.

Post Haste will run on Linux. You just have to install Wine first. It is available at: http://www.winehq.org/.
It is fairly simple to install it on a single Linux machine. You can also install it one a remote Linux machine. This will allow you to access it from more than one computer. It will also allow you to centralize your output files in one location. However, you can always set it up on the locally machine, and then change it later - if needed.

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely check into poste haste. Do they provide posts, or are those priced separately?

Fegenbush

They can provide the post, but am sure it will be an additional charge. Possibly if your controller is common, it shouldn't be a issue. Talk to Paul Andrews (805-583-3460) he can point you in the right direction and even get you an eval copy to try out.

Regards

Robb

I talked to Austin NC, they are the makers of G-POST. They said they could support Linux but PTC has never asked them to do so. This should "irk" anyone who has paid PTC for Pro/E and Pro/Manufacturing on Linux.

Fergenbush: If you do decide to get back on active maintenance, tell PTC that you will only do so if they give Austin NC the go-ahead to compile G-POST for Linux.

I have found a more...direct... solution to the issue. I have coded in C a nifty little program that will get from .ncl to the required .g that my machine will transfer into a .m. I am working to remove the intermediate step right now, but we're making chips, so I can't complain too much.

Maybe if I could get PTC to integrate that into Pro/E??? Otherwise, I would just have to find a way to get it to the masses...

Thanks for the update though, I will keep on PTCs butt if you guys do.

Fegenbush

you have some special caracter in folder where is part placed or something like that. try to rename all files from folders and parts and use just normal keyboard leather and numbers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back