Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

purge not working

joefrench

I cannot seem to purge my directories. I have tried placing a purge.bat file in my working directory, setting up the right click menu in Windows Explorer, System Window and typing purge (with that I get the attaced message in the system window).

2007-04-12_123501_purge_cmd.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To purge myworking directory I just select Window from the toolbar within Pro/E, Open System Window, then type 'purge'. Job done!

Joe, Sorry if I misinterpreted but you say "Windows Explorer, System Window"?? The method I describe works entirely within Pro/E and calls the purge.bat from the <loadpoint>\bin folder so you don't need to actually place a purge.bat file in theworking directory. Windows Explorer and right-clicking doesn't come into it.

There's another purge thread here [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27 552[/url]if that's any help. It's where I discovered this method!

Sorry about that. Maybe a comma wasn't what I needed between WIndows Explorer & System Window. I meant I had tried purging by going to Windows Explorer and running the purge.bat as well as going to Window>Open System Window in ProE and entering the purge command. My mistake.

No problem. Can't think what the problem is then I'm afraid. It's worked "out-of-the-box" for me on WF2 and previous versions - but that's not what you wanted to hear! Let us know if you find a solution.

Spekan Purge from Innotiv is a purge program that works nicely. I use it myself. It's free. It allows me to choose how many versions of every part I want to keep when I purge. I have it set to open on startup of my computer every morning. I've been using it for about a month now, and haven't had a problem yet...
smiley4.gif

I read this thread and maybe I can shed a little light, but maybe the obvious is just understood. When you open pro E, you have to either set the working directory to the directory that you want to "purge" or when you open the systems window through Pro E, you must change the directory there by manually changing it. Either way, the path displayed in the systems window must be set to the directory you want to purge. When you purge it should get rid of all "old" versions of every .prt, asm, .drw. I hope this helps, I appologize if this is too obvious and not what you need.
Jill :)

I was looking through this post again, and I wonder if you don't have some kind of access issue. Is there any way an administrator could have cut off your ability to delete files? I know, usually you would see an error message telling you that you don't have access, but it's just a guess.

This is a tough one. Please post your solution when you find it - and you will find it, eventually.

There are many options for purging ProE files from a directory.

1. From ProE, Window>Open System Window, type purge. Should purge your active working directory.

2. Copy purge.bat from <ProE loadpoint>\bin folder and paste into working directory. Double click the purge.bat file. Should purge the folder it is located in.

3. Right click directory and select Purge from right click menu. See link for a post on this topic. [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24 164&KW=purge[/url]

And probably many more including what was posted above. I believe most if not all of these options require an environment variable called Path be directed toward the <ProE loadpoint>\bin directory. At the time of my original post and some time there after, my environment variable "Path" was not set right. I have since corrected this and am purging like a maniac!
smiley36.gif

smiley32.gif

Just out of curiosity, where do I find this variable? Is it a configuration option? I don't find it under the Environment category when I look at my configuration setup.

Right click My Computer and select Properties. Select the advanced tab. Select the Environment Variables button. Scroll through the system variables until you find the Path. If that variable does not exist (it should), create it by selecting NEW( variable name: "Path"; Variable value: <ProE loadpoint>\bin ). If it does exist, select "Path" and EDIT. Go to the end of Variable value (there could be many for different applications) and enter <ProE loadpoint>\bin preceded by a semicolon.

I believe this should have been done with the loading of ProE to your system.

I don't know if this helps, but I am only able to purge when first starting ProE, before opening any files. After I have opened files purge doesn't complete, I'm running build M 0.040 xp 64bit...

If you are running on a 64bit machine, then you may need to rewrite the purge batch file.

I don't know if the problem is on all machines, but on my PC, the computer acts like it is running on a 32bit machine, so the purge program is looking in the wrong directory.

Here is my current purge, as well as the default purge file - just modify your's similarly, and you should get it to work properly until you change your ProE installation.

2009-08-10_024432_purge.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back