Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Note Reference in the BOM

SrGilberto

(Thank you all in advance for your good advice and assistance)

I have components in an assembly and in a Drawing BOM that needto reference a general note. I have a column in the BOM called "NOTE". I would like certain components of the assembly to have the note referenced in the component's appropriate cellunder the "NOTE" column in the BOM.

Would you give me detailed instructions on how to do this (I hope I explained it sufficiently. I'll further clarify if needed).

Thanks again,

SrGilberto

Is your column defined as Comment Cells?
(Table -> Repeat Region -> Comments;
use the What's This? Help button.)
Manually enter the note reference.

Or a standard repeat region column?
You'll have to have a model parameter to report
or create conditional statements to test model
params and assign a value to display. I can't
think of a situation where I'd go to the trouble
of trying to do that(?).

The cell under the "NOTE" column is within a standard repeat region column. That probably means that I would need to define a parameter that will show in that cell.

So, I'll ask this: Can I add a note column to the table that is not a part of the repeat region and make it a "comment" column where I can just add the text in the cell?

Thanks,

SrGilberto

I added a column, but when I did; it became part of the repeat region. I may simply have to add a component parameter for the individual components and thencode that in the driving cell above it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

SrGilberto

> So, I'll ask this: Can I add a note
> column to the table that is not a
> part of the repeat region and make
> it a "comment" column where I can
> just add the text in the cell?

Table columns outside the repeat region do not maintain row
associations; will not sort or update with the region if
components are added or removed. Or, at least, that's the
way I seem to remember it (not) working and why a Comment
Cell column is defined in the region. Have you tried to do
that?

I just want to confirm all that was said above:

Like Jeff said you can create a comment cell in a repeat region, you need to select only the first cell in the column and all column will become a comment columnand will update if you sort or add/remove components. Then right click a cell / properties and write whatever you want.

Or like you said create a parameter in all your models and add it to your repeat region in a column.

Don't think there is another way of doing this.

I know this is somewhat old butI hope someone can help.I have been trying to add a comment cell to a BOM table and keep getting the message "Cell has to be empty." I checked and the cell is empty. Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.

D.

Sometimes you need to start from scratch in order for comment cells to work properly. I've been in your situation and I had to delete my repeat region and start over. Note - for the first comment cell, you have to right click and select properties; you can't double click on the cell.

Select first cell in column > RMB > "Delete Contents" > continue with creating comments as described above

Countor, that worked! I can't believe it was so easy I had missed it. MGortner, I did do that with one of my BOM tables, thanks. I even checked the help files and did not seeanything aboutdelete contents. Thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back