Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

.ddb File

spear03

We are currently using Intralink 3.3 Wildfire 2.0. Here is the story. The network went down yesterday, when the network came back up I lost all of my workspaces and now I am left with a "default_ws." I have never seen this workspace before until I lost around 25 workspaces yesterday (6/12/2006). I have been told that my .ddb file was corrupt and that there could be a way of recovering it, but nobody knows how to here. I am not an admin on the Pro E or Intralink, so I am limited in what I can do, but I have been asked to see if I can find a solution to recover all of the data in my .ddb file. I have found on my computer the d:\workspace\proi that looks like the workspaces I had but the files in the folders are not as current as what I had. The admin person (who is in China now, I am in Atlanta, GA)of our Pro E says that he does not fully understand the relationship between Intralink and the d:\workspace\proi files and why only some of them ever get updated and also there are files in the Intralink workspaces that do not exist on the D:\workspace\proi drive. Does anyone understand why this is? I know this is a seperate issue from the HUGE problem I have, but I think the two could be related. Any suggestions or solutions are welcome, we will try anything to recover this data. Also, our parent company has not renewed the Service Contract with PTC for Intralink, I cannot ask PTC for help.

It is in situations like this you find out that maintenence is worth the cost.

If you have 25 workspaces in the local ddb, then I understand why you get problems. It is not recommended to havethe local.ddb to be more that max 100Mb. I am cad-administrator, and I have add a check for the size in the intralink start script. It is alway recommended to have all object thet is new or modified to be check in every day. If they are check in you have backup and can make a nevlocal.ddb if it get corrupted. If is always also a good idea to runa ldbcompact before start Intralink.

The reason why you have different files is ws and in \proi could be renaming. Intralink will alway keep the orginal file name even after you remane and check out to a new WS.

If I remember correct you can perhaps use the tool ..\proiclient\i486_nt\obj\ldbconvert.exe. I will recommen you to backup all files before you are trying to use the tool. Try to look in some intralink documentation before to find out how to use it.

If the problem is that you haven't check in, I will hope you have learn the leason.

Get you administrator to make a check for the size for local.ddb in a startscript, and to also use ldbcompact. If he don't know how to do it he is welcome to contact me.

Hello jnoval,

I am new to the administrator role.

May I ask you ask you questions or advice from time to time?

Thank you

Hello jnoval,

I am in the intial phase of setting up wildfire 2.0 and intralink 8.0.

I want to set up on our server a folder location and point pro/e to it.

Folder will have library, formats, materials etc. basically a location where things are standarized and can't be changed by the users. I have 5 engineers to support.

Do you have any advice regarding the setup phase, items in the config.pro(sup)

Imade my email addr availablein my profile so we can take this offline.

It is possible to recover files directly from the folders in your .proi directory - however note the following:

Revsion and Release levels will be lost.

Part, assembly and drawing filenames may not be the same as what they are in theOracle environment.

For example if you start a new workspace and create a new part through Pro/E and save - the filename in Workspace will be the same as the physical file in Windows envrironment. If you rename in Workspace (or CS) and check you will see that the filename remains unchanged in Windows environment. This is due to how Oracle manages files. PTC Comon Name remains as the original filename.

Trying to recover files through .proi can be tricky since you may not know what you are looking for as physical filenames may not be the same as Oracle metadata. You will also need to know that the file you want is the latest version, but this is simple as it can be found from the latest filename version in Windows Explorer. If you can manage to salvage critical files you then may have the task of renaming in session in order to open assemblies and drawings, then renaming back to what they should be in Intralink. I've done it many times before so I know it works. PTC wouldn't recommend it, but then again I've had to carry out workarounds just to get round the bugs they supply with their software.

If .proi directory was corrupt, it could well be because a part, assembly or drawing file became corrupt. In which case you then have the option of trying to retrieve an earlier version of the file. Have a play around trying to open up files from Windows explorer - if physical filenames aren't recognised - you may determine what they should be when you open them up.

From time to time, when you have no Workspaces, delete the local.dbb file from .proi and restart Intralink. DON'T delete the .pro folder as some recommend because you'll lose all your preference files. It's the local.dbb file only which retains information on Workspaces and Frames in Intralink.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Novice Trying to support IntrLink

Good day jnoval,

I am also new to the Intralink world and having to support 5 engineers," I started to read some of the forums and I am glad I read your post instructing not to delete the file. I understand I cannot compress the file, now I really can use your assistance in figuring out how I can fix this. I so not know where the file resides on the users computer and how to running any of the apps suggested in previous forums. Can you please help.

It is in situations like this you find out that maintenence is worth the cost.

If you have 25 workspaces in the local ddb, then I understand why you get problems. It is not recommended to havethe local.ddb to be more that max 100Mb. I am cad-administrator, and I have add a check for the size in the intralink start script. It is alway recommended to have all object thet is new or modified to be check in every day. If they are check in you have backup and can make a nevlocal.ddb if it get corrupted. If is always also a good idea to runa ldbcompact before start Intralink.

The reason why you have different files is ws and in \proi could be renaming. Intralink will alway keep the orginal file name even after you remane and check out to a new WS.

If I remember correct you can perhaps use the tool ..\proiclient\i486_nt\obj\ldbconvert.exe. I will recommen you to backup all files before you are trying to use the tool. Try to look in some intralink documentation before to find out how to use it.

If the problem is that you haven't check in, I will hope you have learn the leason.

Get you administrator to make a check for the size for local.ddb in a startscript, and to also use ldbcompact. If he don't know how to do it he is welcome to contact me.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back