Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo 3.0 - enhancements

solidworm

Super Moderator
long ago, I started a thread about Creo 2.0 enhancements, which was a nice place for everyone to show what new stuff they've discovered in the new version of the software, and how they use them, I think its time to start a thread about creo 3.0 and learn about the cool new stuff. So please everyone share what they've found new and useful in this release.
Has anyone noticed any change in boundary blend in terms of quality?

I noticed there's a new option in Boundary Blend, "Optimize Surface Shape" in constraints tab. any Ideas how it may optimize the shape?

Isn't F000 really just a beta release?

I always thought that the F series were beta's, and the M series were released datecodes, with most of us lol savvy guys sitting on our hands until the release hit at least M050 or so.

Isn't F000 really just a beta release?

I always thought that the F series were beta's, and the M series were released datecodes, with most of us lol savvy guys sitting on our hands until the release hit at least M050 or so.

My first impression is that it seems a bit buggy. I'm having some weird troubles opening certain models and drawings. I'll probably wait until the M's this fall before I really dig into.

I do see that <.......drumroll please.......> Soliddorks files do open up cleanly just like a STEP <.....rimshot....>

Spinal bend is now in the ribbon interface.

There could be some that I'm forgetting, but I can't find any features now with the old fly-out menus.
So I guess that means that 10 or 15 years since it was first declared that Pro/E would transition to the Windows interface, it's now finally complete.

Woot, 21st century, here we come.

F000 is First release of production build. M is Maintenance release. I will most definitely wait for a few maintenance releases.

Just went to a workshop put on by PTC yesterday on this.
They've added a "chordal round" option to the round command.
YOu can open native SolidWorks, Catia and a few others.
With a license extension, you can modify those files.
You can also assemble SolidWorks or Catia to a Creo3 assembly.

I didn't see much else except in surfacing (which I don't use).
Most of the functionality they've added requires license extensions (more $)

My first impression is that it seems a bit buggy. I'm having some weird troubles opening certain models and drawings. I'll probably wait until the M's this fall before I really dig into.

I do see that <.......drumroll please.......> Soliddorks files do open up cleanly just like a STEP <.....rimshot....>

Spinal bend is now in the ribbon interface.

There could be some that I'm forgetting, but I can't find any features now with the old fly-out menus.
So I guess that means that 10 or 15 years since it was first declared that Pro/E would transition to the Windows interface, it's now finally complete.

Woot, 21st century, here we come.

A bit too early to celebrate yet. There are still areas e.g Twist and Merge Walls in sheetmetal that uses ProE 2001 menus. In drawing mode e.g Edge Display, Line Style and Repeat Region uses the old Menu Manager. Also in other applications such as Cabling, Piping, NC there seems to be still quite a lot of the old Menu Manager. I believe PTC stated thst it will probably never be completely gone as there are some areas that are rarely used and doesn't justify the effort of programming.
All in all, it's not too bad now. For me, I would have wished that they upgraded Repeat Region menu to the new interface. That's a compicated interface to use.

I've noticed changes in how you put dimensions on a drawing. I've not worked a lot with drawings since Wildfire, but in Creo 2 you clicked on entities and nothing showed until you mid clicked to place the dimension. Now you have to ctrl-click the entities (e.g. two edges to diemnsion the distance) but you see a preview of the dimension. When a dimension is on the sheet in 2.0 you just clicked and it "attached" to the pointer and you could move it, now you have to keep pressing the mouse button or it will just select (maybe there's an option for that? or the auto-attach was an issue in my install of 2.0)

I wish they'd quit changing how to do things!!!
Why should we have to re-learn how to use the software everytime someone at PTC decides that they are bored with it?

I've noticed changes in how you put dimensions on a drawing. I've not worked a lot with drawings since Wildfire, but in Creo 2 you clicked on entities and nothing showed until you mid clicked to place the dimension. Now you have to ctrl-click the entities (e.g. two edges to diemnsion the distance) but you see a preview of the dimension. When a dimension is on the sheet in 2.0 you just clicked and it "attached" to the pointer and you could move it, now you have to keep pressing the mouse button or it will just select (maybe there's an option for that? or the auto-attach was an issue in my install of 2.0)

I agree that changing for the sake of changing is not good but I don't think the new way is too bad. The only thing I'd really like to have is right clicking to "swap" the arrows direction while placing the dimension. In previous versions you didn't see any dimension while placing, so afterward you had to click drag and right click to swap arrows directions. In Creo 3.0 the dimension is visible while placing, which could be a time saver IF you was also allowed to swap arrows while doing that. Just a suggestion for M010 :D

I just got my first good look at what you're talking about, and I can say that this is so far worse than before. More clicks and moving things around to get it right.

They've been talking about replacing 2D drawings for years. With what they've done to drawings in Creo 3.0, I can see it happening really quick.

If you rely on 2D drawings very much than you want to wait until they work out all the bugs.

If you rely on 2D drawings very much than you want to wait until they work out all the bugs.

Agreed, it's also a pain to place angle dimensions: sometimes you can easily switch between the angles, sometimes not (same geometry but depends on the view or orientation IDK) and you have to build construction lines and be careful about how you build them because even the order in which you build them is crucial. I hope they iron this out soon

Paolo

I've used Creo Direct extensively to modify IGES imports from Solidworks and let me say it's hard to impress me and it's impressive. The full integration of direct into Parametric seams to be the plan.

I've used the 'Align' tools in Creo 3.0 to snap open ends tangentially to open end surfaces as tools. We are defiantly on the right track and not sure if Catia can do that sort of stuff. Defiantly Maya Sub'D that is not possible.

I will be excited to dig deeper into Creo 3.0

Used the Fastener Library some. I saw in a video that the assembly tool can create the hole in the mating part or something. Didn't see that functionality in the user interface. Anyone get that to work?

Last edited:
I've used Creo Direct extensively to modify IGES imports from Solidworks and let me say it's hard to impress me and it's impressive. The full integration of direct into Parametric seams to be the plan.

I've used the 'Align' tools in Creo 3.0 to snap open ends tangentially to open end surfaces as tools. We are defiantly on the right track and not sure if Catia can do that sort of stuff. Defiantly Maya Sub'D that is not possible.

I will be excited to dig deeper into Creo 3.0

Interesting,

Where can I find out more about Creo direct ? Is this the same as flexible modeling ?

http://creo.ptc.com/2014/06/24/ptc-creo-3-0-demo-more-options-for-flexible-modeling/

Is the align tool part of Data-Doctor or Creo direct ?

Thanks

I used CoCreate which was the forerunner of Creo Direct and it is really a cool product. Unfortunately some of the integration and library stuff didn't make it easy to fully integrate with a primarily Creo database. I'm looking forward to full integration. I'm sure it will happen someday.

Dross - Changing things in Creo is a healthy thing... that is with respect to the user interface or how things work. Unfortunately for us as humans it forces us to re-learn a thing or two but if you look at the big picture it is a good thing. Healthy for the software even. One example is Unigraphics. They were on the forefront of user interface in the mid 90's when Pro/ENGINEEER was menu driven with words. UG was icon driven much like Creo is now. Unfortunately with UG that tool did not change so much over the years and works much like it did years ago. Un changed and the same for the users. Still old compared to how Creo works with Preview etc.

Im in Athens Greece this week BTW teaching a surfacing class. Life sure is rough ;)

Last edited:
I used CoCreate which was the forerunner of Creo Direct and it is really a cool product. Unfortunately some of the integration and library stuff didn't make it easy to fully integrate with a primarily Creo database. I'm looking forward to full integration. I'm sure it will happen someday.

CoCreate is still around. In PTC's screwed up renaming it's now called "Creo Elements Direct". Creo Direct is not decedent from CoCoreate, but is a direct modeler built off of the Proe kernel. In the long term, I think the plan is to merge Creo Elements Direct (CoCreate) into main Creo, but that's going to take some time if they intend to do it seamlessly.

PTC now has 4 direct modelers:

1. Freestyle, which is built into Creo Parametric Foundation
  2. Flexible Modeling extension - adds on to Creo Parametric
  3. Creo Direct - A stand alone direct modeler built on the Proe kernel
  4. Creo Elements Direct - formerly known as CoCreate

Seems like overkill and more than a bit confusing.

Dross - Changing things in Creo is a healthy thing... that is with respect to the user interface or how things work. Unfortunately for us as humans it forces us to re-learn a thing or two but if you look at the big picture it is a good thing. Healthy for the software even. One example is Unigraphics. They were on the forefront of user interface in the mid 90's when Pro/ENGINEEER was menu driven with words. UG was icon driven much like Creo is now. Unfortunately with UG that tool did not change so much over the years and works much like it did years ago. Un changed and the same for the users. Still old compared to how Creo works with Preview etc.

Im in Athens Greece this week BTW teaching a surfacing class. Life sure is rough ;)

How do ya figure changing is healthy?
Going from two mouse clicks to over 10 to accomplish the same thing is not only not healthy, but contributes to carpal tunnel syndrome.
It also slows productivity. I know that is of no concern for teaching how to use the software, but it is very important in the workplace.
Everytime they make a change, it slows us down.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back