Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo 3.0 - enhancements

CoCreate is still around. In PTC's screwed up renaming it's now called "Creo Elements Direct". Creo Direct is not decedent from CoCoreate, but is a direct modeler built off of the Proe kernel. In the long term, I think the plan is to merge Creo Elements Direct (CoCreate) into main Creo, but that's going to take some time if they intend to do it seamlessly.

Yes, it's still around and I still own a couple seats of it. I would not want to be the programmer having to integrate it into Creo Parametric. But, I hope for most of the functionality to be incorporated eventually with much more familiar tools.

PTC now has 4 direct modelers:

1. Freestyle, which is built into Creo Parametric Foundation
  2. Flexible Modeling extension - adds on to Creo Parametric
  3. Creo Direct - A stand alone direct modeler built on the Proe kernel
  4. Creo Elements Direct - formerly known as CoCreate

Seems like overkill and more than a bit confusing.

Calling "Freestyle" a direct modeler is a bit confusing, it's like calling ISDX a direct modeler because you can interactively edit curves and surfaces. Flexible Modeling Extension and Creo Direct "should" be basically the same thing, one is integrated in Creo Parametric for designers who want the "full package", the other is a standalone application for users who just need to tweak a model from time to time. Creo Elements Direct is more or less a legacy product based on CoCreate.

I don't think it's confusing, it's just that PTC has acquired CoCreate to grab knowledge about direct modeling, then integrated it in its current "apps" philosophy

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back