Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Split Draft - Matching Halves

ManishN

Hi,

How to add material at the Parting line which is not straight - so both halves meet at all places. (In Pro-E, the draft is given in one command (without splitting the surface), so the draft angle gets automatically adjusted - In SW, if the surface is split - how to do it).

Thanks.

ManishN,

You cannot have the parting line parallel with the direction of pull, unless you want to do some sort ofsliding shutoff. Judging by your geometry, this is not what you're trying to do...

If you add a little bit of an angle to those vertical lines, the draft feature works well (i.e. gives me the geometry I want):

View attachment 5889

This is a 1* draft, with those vertical lines angled by 3*. Here are the results of a 1* draft analysis. Notice how the skinny vertical faces are green as well in the direction of pull (arrow). The key here is that the angle of the lines (3) must be larger than the draft angle (1). If not, the draft on the skinny faces will fail.

Does this answer your question?

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back