Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

part surface to x, y, z data file points

CAOTed

Greetings to all. Irequest to know if someonecould clarify orexpand upon the steps ina posting of 23SEPregarding exporting XYZ coordinate points from plane to data file.I workin optics at a university research center anduse WF3.0 to generate stp and igs files for our CAM via UG-NX6. We are research oriented so my use/knowledge of Pro-E is a basic to avglevel but have designed and fabricated numerous optical components, mounts, fixtures, etc. for prototyping.We recentlyobtained a Nanotech 250UPL diamond turninglathe with C-axis which givesus polynomial freeform capability to machine optical surfaces. We presently useDiffsys togenerate the tool path for the optical surfaces. I have modeledin WF3.0 an X-ray mirror which is a combination of a hyperbola and parabola sections. I havenot been able to design the surfaces in Diffsysbut do know Diffsyscan import a txt file havingjust x,y,z, or x,z,c coordinates as an array to generate the tool path. From the 23SEP posting I gather it is possible to export the surface of a part, the mirror surface in my case, in xyz pointsto atxt data file. Unfortunately,I have not been able to followthe steps in the 23SEP posting.Cansomeoneto please specifythesteps toexport a part surface to x, y, z data file points,or direct me to a tutorial covering this topic?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thank you in advance. Regards, Ted

Can you link that 23 Sep post? I have searched for it without success. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I too work with optics and often export X,Y,Z points but only along a single aspheric curve. Patterning thatcreatesa disproportional array andto the required degree of accuracy would result in an overwhelming ProE crash. We also use Diffsys toprogram biconic (toric) optics.

Solidworms post has the link. It's the last post in the topic.

The basic steps from what I've seen are to create a pattern of points along a curve that lies on the surface. Group the curve and pattern of points and axis pattern the group to create the points that define the surface. Create a measurement analysis feature that measures the distance from your point of origin. You need to specify a projection reference. If you use a coordinate system you will then get the choice of specifying the system type to show the measurement results. If you select spherical or cylindrical the angle measurements are exported in radians so you need to convert the values if you want them in degrees. On the measurement dialog box when you change the drop down from Quick to Feature you will be able to select the Feature tab and specify the measurement parameters you want to create (X, Y, and Z distance in your case). You then reference pattern the measurement analysis. Display the measurement parameters in the model tree by adding the parameter names from the measurement analysis by selecting Settings>Tree Columns and select Feat Params from the drop down. Type in the parameters you created in the measurement feature. This will display the values in the model tree. You can then select Settings>Save Model Tree to create a text file that contains the values in the model tree. You'll need to edit it to get it into the format you need.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back