Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cutting from a solid using surfaces

Checkmate

hi, this is a download i got off the ptc website from the resourse center under detail and advanced geometry, it is one of their exapmles of what can be done with variable sweep sections. i have been trying to copy it to improove my skills as i am a bit of a novice but it does not come with instructions as to how it was made and i have got stuck and not understood a few bits so i was wondering if anybody might be able to help me.

also i am using wildfire 2.0 and i am pretty sure that the part is suposed to have been created in 2.0 also as it is shown in a window with exaples of tutorials during the 2.0 instalation and setup.

this is the downloaded part i am copying, a five iron.

and this is where i have got stuck. there is a cut made from the solid using a boundary blended surface and a variable sweep section which have be merged. i have tryied experimenting with most of the tool but can't find what have been used? have you got any ideas?

also going backwards there where a couple of bits i didn't understand and couldn't find how they where done also so i just skipped them out. do they matter do they affect this cut? in this one the surface seems to have been quilted as a feature, what does this do and what tool does it? the only tool i know for quilting is under view>model setup>mesh surface> quilt but this is only until the view is repainted and not a surface feature.

in this one the surface has been projected, it appears onto its self, i don't understand what this does if anything at all and again i cant find the tool that was used the normal project tool for projecting curves onto surface does not apear to perform this function and also gives a different icon for the feature in the model tree.

thanks for reading and thanks for any help you can lend?

thanks, checkmate.

Edited by: Checkmate

for your first question about cutting a solid with a surface, you use the edit/solidify command and specify remove material. the quilt needs to be bigger than the solid (or at least the exact same size) i.e. the surface must completly cut the solid.

Screen shot number three seems to be of a surface copy.. and the "meshing" that you see is simply a preview of what you are abot to copy.

I think number 4 refers to a copy also of one of the solid faces to give you a quilt.

of course all of what I have said above is speculative, becauseI haven;t got the part(can youuploadit?) or the tutorial address (can you post it?)

hope this helps,

James

James,

Its good that you are now back in this forum with frequent visits. Now puppet is missing.

Checkmate,

This is the way to learn proE i.e. reverse engineer complicated models. I would say, you use "redefine", "info parent/child" and "edit definition" and above all "compare models" command . this is very powerful.

I learned proE by reverse engineering like this. Try try again and you will succeed.

In last if you upload both parts as James said I can help diagnose the problem you are having.

Israr

Thanks ISRAR, I started a new job and didn't have much time to post comments, but always read as much as I could! and hey, one more post and you are at 1000!
smiley36.gif

Yeah, I would aggree with ISRAR that this is the best way to learn! have a go, and as you get stuck see if you can get a "hint" from somebody here and continue.. you definately learn more by doing!

thanks very much guys that has been much help.

this is the part

2006-03-27_190139_02-five_iron.prt.rar

one thing, in my copy of the surface in the third picture it doesn't seem to have an option for quilting and instead needs references, is there another way of doing it?

also i have been using edit definition a lot and redefine when the feature goes wrong when i have been editing something but i'm not quite sure what i should be looking at in info/parent child and what is compare geometry? could you help explain this?

Checkmate,

you upload the reference part as well such we tell you whats wrong in your part.

Israr

Hey checkmate, dont worry you are not alone, I am new to most things pro-e aswell, especially sufacing which I am also starting to learn
smiley2.gif

Cant believe PTC have posted those models without the aid of tutorials or atleast a quick guide etc.

I have just downloaded all of the others from the same page, the hummingbird looks pretty cool doesn`t it, one day I will try to get time to have a go at all of them.

Keep working mate, im sure you`ll figure out the golf club in no time !

Welcome to the forum aswell, there are plenty of experience guys on this forym who are always willing to lend a helping hand.

yea thanks, i'm glad i found this forum, and yea the humming bird looks cool i think i am going to try that one next!

Hey checkmate, I just took a look a bit further down that five iron model and noticed that they have used the style feature, just a quick warning to let you know that most new users may not have the Style feature if you have the basic package of pro-e. Check it out before you proceed and get upset when you cant finish it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back