Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

undoable???

megaladon

View attachment 1274is there anyway to do find the flattened length of a part like this

i know its impossible to do in sheetmetal but was thinking maybe make the ends ears and to an unbend???

been trying but not 100% im getting the correct result

if i remeber from a long time ago the length of the arc is 66% of the thcikness unsure of that too.

any help would make my day for such a simple looking thing thank you
Edited by: megaladon

It's quite irrelevant for more complex parts, but for simple parts such as this, couldn't you just do a curve length measurement on each of the unstretched edges (ie. inner edges) and add them?

HOPEFULLY U CAN SEE FORM THIS PICTURE THAT WHEN BENDING A SOLID SQUARE THE TRUE LENGTH IS DEFORMED BY A RATIO OF .66 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BUT IM GOING IN 2 DIRECTIONS SO THE CURVE I PUT IN DOES NOT LINE UP NOT SURE IF MEASURING THE TANGENTS WORKS HERE OR NOT.

THIS SEEMS LIKE SUCH AN EASY PROB, OR SHOULD BEView attachment 1278

You could do it with conservation of volume assuming no change in density occurs when you're deforming the part. Divide the volume by the cross sectional area. This only works for constant cross sections though. You could set up a relation to give you the developed length as a parameter. But in reality, there is a change in density when you're bending sheetmetal and often the only way to determine the K factor is empirically by bending a simple strip. I've attached a PDF on bending if it's of any help.

2005-10-18_042541_Bending.zip

thanx brian and pj

guess i was hoping that there was an easy answer pro could spit out

the link you gave brian is dead from my end

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back