Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 3 - stable enough to use?

soboyle

I have wildfire 3 date code F000 installed on all 7 of our machines, but am a bit reluctant to make the switch until I hear some feedback about stability and any new problems introduced with the new release. using a F000 date code from pro/e just makes me nervous, based on past experience.

Any other users using it yet? any quirks, crashes or other problems to report?

Hi, Soboyle

As you already have WF3 can you tell me wether it is backward compatable?

ie wether you can open WF3 part created with commands available in may be Pro-e 2001 to wf2 or even in PRO-e2001?

SOBOYLE:

I have been testing WF3 since the first pre-production, and now the production is released I have been testing it even more heavy.

In my opinion, it is not stable enough. I have 15 SPRs outstanding against it, 11 found in pre-production 2, 4 found in F000. Of these SPRs 5 of them make PRO/E crash or lock up, the other 10 are reported as not preforming as intended.

I will be waiting for at least 2 more builds before switching over..probally around July/August time frame.

In mold design/surfacing I have been experiencing alot of crashes.

Have 2 SPR's into PTC

As for backwards compatability I was told by PTC that it will be out in the next build code. All features that were created in WF 3.0 will be read only in WF 2.0 but you can fully redefine WF 2.0 features.

I have used pre-production and latest rev. 3.0 f000 maybe crashed 2 or 3 times. I model huge ass'y with well over 1000 parts. My opinion, it is stabel enough to use. If 3.0 is crashing maybe your computer needs an upgrade. We have two seats and use it 70 hours a week. The other engineer doesn't have any problems with it. Just my 2 cents.

but,it is sure that wildfire2 can not open wildfire3's part!!

As compared to W.F 2.0 FOOO and WF 2.0 M010 this version, I mean, WF 3.0 FOOO and WF 3.0 M010 are much more stable.

WF 2.0 became stable after M080 but I think WF 3.0 will be much stable after M030. At this stage it is said that colloboration with MATHCAD will enhance it.

Israr

well think of it this way. its is more stable than when wildfire 2.0 came out but it is not stable enough to base your work on. most of the bugs coming out is also due to the many updates from windows, one for example is when you go configure modelcheck it will crash. this is to do with enviroment settings and the folder with the language name being created inside the model check folder. All in all i think that it will get better in a couple of releases maybe even september will be the one i bet will work great

WF3 M020 was released a day or two ago. It has quite a few bug fixes with only a dozen or so outstanding. Interestingly, the 2 SPR's I reported are not listed among the corrections, however, when I tracked down each SPR they said they were fixed in M020. Go figure.

Anyway, I ordered a CD and will give it a try.

I am still in the testing mode for WF3, with plans of going into production with it sometime around October. I have been testing it since Pre-Production 1, and I have approx 20 (give or take) SPRs open against it....M020 has been pretty stable for me so far, but it has only been 3 days since I loaded it. I opened a call against PRO/E (crash) today but I am not sure if this issue was in WF3 M010..

M030 is going to have several SPRs of mine fixed, which I am looking forward too, and I know that the build codes around August or September will also have several more fixed..thats why I am waiting till at least October.

Using the Cross Release Interoperability, it is possible to open Pro/E Wildfire 3.0 parts in Wildfire 2.0!

This is Granite-based, and has been improved over earlier versions where a neutral file was required. The full model tree is available, and new features can be added in WF2, however, the existing features in WF3 cannot be modified.

At this point, this requires a dll in your WF2 loadpoint that is not released with the CD version.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=132326

There are many use cases where this will be very helpful and provide more flexibility.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back