Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

large assembly ’failing’ to connect

ecosgriff

While working on a model of a car for an SAE student competition, the assembly has recently decieded that it doesn't want to create any more mechanism connections. New parts placed into the assembly are fine, but if connections are created, they get an 'assembly failed to connect' error, although they still align in position, and will drag as if the connections were working properly.

We have tried several parts, created several different ways, and assembled them using different types of connections to different references on different parts, but all have failed.

I'm curious what could be causeing this problem. Is there a limit on the number of connections that mechanism can handle at one time? If so, how could I find out how many we currently have, or manage them more effectively? Is there another cause that I might be overlooking?

Thanks

-e

Thereis nolimit on the number of connections that mechanism can handle at one time.

There may be so many reasons for "failed to connect" We can only help if you attach you assembly here.

Israr

Unfortunately I can't. The models were created by a group of students, and Iam just trying to help them out. I have no idea where ALL of the files are for thecar, and am pretty sure that there are several problems with their file management. Sorry about the files, but it would help if I even had a couple of suggestions to tell these guys where to look for the problem's source.

The funny thing about the assembly is that the connections were working fine, and then at some point on friday, they began to fail. No new connections (of any type or with anyfiles)were 'connecting,' and when reviewing the definitions of previously connected components, they gave the same error. New components will not appear to be placed when working with the place component dialog, but upon exiting and dragging the bodies, they will 'snap' together and behave properly. We have also been able to create and run several kinematic analysis on the model, even with the connections claiming that they are failing.

So far, the error message has not been associated with any real problem. The model is still working like it was before, and we have been able to use it for everything we've needed. I found several connections that could be refined (combinations of plane and cylinder that could be defined with just a pin), and have advised the team to clean up the connections that they can, at least to simplify the model.

This project is being used by senior students in our ME curriculum. When they are finished with it, their work (and models) will be passed on to next years teams. Although this error does not seem to be giving these guys any problems yet, I am worried that it could propagate into bigger problems later on, and would like to fix it earlier in the process.

In the end it is all mathematics. If the math inside ProE says it has no solution then that's what is says. I've had assemblies that I knew were OK but where ProE failed. I had some luck then by suppressing relations and re-establishing them in another sequence. It shouldn't have been necessary but it was. Look at it as "guiding" the solving.

One thing that can help is to isolate as many parts as possible, that is : move connected parts, that behave as one block, into a subassembly. It's probably difficult in a mechanism where everything interacts, but still.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back