Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Quadro fx1400 or Geforce 7900GTX for x64?

dabu76

Hi to all!

I am curently in process of building machine for WF3.0 on Win 64 bit system.
I have chosed dual Opteron platform and curently looking for graphic card.
I cant decide between Geforce 7900GTX 512Mb or Quadro FX1400 128Mb.
They are similar in price and i am wondering if benefits of quadro (hardware and
driver optimizations) really pays off or shear speed of 7900gtx wins?
What is the driver support for quadro and geforce in Win64 bit?
Thanks for any help!

I know from expeirence that the ATI cards do not seem to work as well with Dual monitors, and we have tested both and for some reason the ATI cards work well with single monitors but have glitches and performance issues on Dual monitors.
With that said we have a couple of HP machines with the FX1400 cards and they all work well except for one machine which seems to be cursed. We have tried new cards, MBs Memory, etc.in it and such in fact the whole machine is basically new from HP service. We have found on WF 2.0 that the FX1400 cards are ok, not as good as the 980s that we have, but they don't make them anymore.
HP had drivers for the Quadro 64 bit, it is funny because HP supports it but iNvidia did not have them posted, so IT would not allow me to build a test machine.
If it were me and I was running dual monitors I would use the quadro, I would be skeptical on the ATI if they are not on any PTC certified systems.
Edited by: slashct

always go for nvidia. I've had to workstations with ATI cards (not old ones) and always had issues like blue screens, freezing etc. Nvidia never crashed on me once while working with pro engineer.

Have a look at this one, its the successor of the FX GO cards, and I almost creamed myself
smiley2.gif
: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M 512 ram hummmmmmm

Nick

Use Quadro, since those cards are optimized for OpenGL performance, though I've heard youcan mod some Geforce cards to act as Quadro.

You can use hacked drivers on older GeForces (search for SoftQuadro) but mileage varies a lot.

I spent a lot of effort trying this on my GeForce4 Ti4200 and in the end it was registered as a Quadro in Windows but there was no performance increase. Others report better success.

The old GeForce2 could be modded with a soldering iron which supposedly worked perfectly. For every newer generation, nVidia has tightened the anti-modding protection to the level where drivers use encrypted something to something internal something technobabble.

Now you know as much as I do. ^_^

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back