Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Importing LOGOs and cut solid?

goldlab

I have pulled in a DXF FILE of a logo by bringing it into a Pro-E format and then generating an IGES file. The intent of this is to create curves or control points so as to extrude this logo into a solid Pro-E part. It has all kinds of small bsplines and has been a real pain to get into a user friendly form. I then pull the part file into an assembly and extrude(cut) from curves made from tracing in schetcher.

Is there a better way of doing this? can it be done within a part file?

yes.. the better way is to create a coodinate system in the part you want to put the logo on, then making sure your dxf has no spaces in the name i.e. "my logo.dxf" should be "my_logo.dxf" use the insert/shared data command and bring in your dxf refereccing your coordinate sys. then do an extrude and ude the "use Edge " command within sketcher (loop sometimes works well - depends on the quality of the dxf) (in autocad move the center of the logo to the 0,0,0 - this ensures the center of the logo comes in at the center of the coordinate sys)

move the coordinate sys - the logo updates, the only bummer s when you have to change the size of the logo - you have to scale it in autocadand bring it in again
smiley19.gif
maybe there is a better way?

James

Yes, I have other way:

Use Insert/Wrap to scale you imported DXF file. And you can rotate and move. It's cool. =)

Thanks you everyone.

..is there a way to control depth on a curved surface or irregular surface..other than with a cut surface when you extrude this logo into a solid to cut out the shape?

it would be nice if you could just give it a depth without having to generate and offset surface and project the logo into that but it appears that functionality does not exist.

If I understand what you are asking regarding the depth. You
should be able to use the offest > expand command. Select the
outside surface of your model and then offset > expand. Here
you will have the option to create a internal sketch. Once your
sketch is done you have depth options.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back