Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

So much for getting rid of the old menus

Moroso

Still have all the old menus in Mold Design and datum curve creation.

How long is it going to take for this software to be completely converted so we could past this menu fiasco and get some better enhancements

My feelings exactly. Should have been done at WF2. I don't know if they will have completed it by WF4. User interface should just be a wrapper around modeling engine and graphics core. Obviously, PTC did not build Pro/E this way.

Their multi-platform support is costing them too because they can not use the Windoze libraries to build the GUI. They have to make everything from scratch in C.

Rumor has it that even WF4 will NOT have eliminated the Menu Manager for all options of Pro/E.

Dashboard conversions:

WF1 - Most of Modeling

WF2 - Sheetmetal

WF3 - Assemblies

WF4 - Drafting?

WF5 - Manufacturing?

The conversion to the dashboard is taking way too long. By the time WF5 comes out, MS Vista will be out and someone will come up with a new idea to "improve" the user interface to take advantage the newer technology.
smiley18.gif

I also heard some comments at PTC/User in June that menu manager will NEVEr completely go away as there are some functions that are just too hard to try to get into the dashboard architecture.

IMHO I do not think that they will ever get away from the menu manager, rather we will just see less of it. I do belive it is a good thing because a lot of the mapkeys i am using go way way back and you just cant find the commands anymore, but since they were done old school they work great.

I have been kicked into resolve mode before and was kicked back in time to sketcher before they upgraded the GUI. I think it can still be repeated. Create a protrusion sketch some geometry, convert the geometry to be drivin by a peremiter value. finish your protrusion, after it all works make it fail. It is kind of neat

bwahahhaaa... the 'upgrade' of the modify command is easily the most retarded move in the history of mankind

lord knows i was always sitting there on version20 going... 'gosh.. someday.. somehow.. i sure wish they'd split modify up into at least 4 seperate and totally incompatible sections, add extra clicks and screw up redefine as well'

go mapkey #modify sometime if you'd like to see what i mean
smiley36.gif

How aboutImport Feature 'Geometry'. That's due forsome kind of anupgrade. Let's face it, I might as well rub a lamp & make 3 wishes instead of messing with the Heal Geometry Fix Options.With each new release I keep looking for a 'CloseEyes > Hope for the best' selection underEdit Bndry.

Import iges geometry got a big face lift. There are some amazing things in WF2.0 with respect to ripping appart and modifying import geometry. Anyone notice? Create curve and surface. I just demoed it today at the badgerland PTCUSER conference By the way.

In my opinion it shouldn't be all that hard to map menu commands to
simple icons for Redefine Reroute and Fix model. You should be able to
hit Play and get access to some simple icons.

It also pisses me off that you cannot use customize screen to add icons
for mapkeys which I'd love to do for my Resolve Feat mapkeys.

Some stuff still works better with the old menu's like in drawing which
seems to take any type of click as a double click and opens up the
dialog window.

What's up with the damn selection tools Laso and crossing and all those other icons that are always greyed out.

It would also be nice to have the selection options mapkeyable right
now the different options are recorded as the number on the drop down
and not with names like drw.item.view .view .feat
etc. it's just '.0 or '.2

I have makeys for sketch like sg for select geometry but If I use it in modeling I get something completely different.

Yes, I am desperately awaiting the day when Mold Design, NC, Cabling, and Piping get rid of the Menu Manager and adopt both the dashboard and an intuitive workflow. Well, at least Mold Design has that toolbar that for most apps you can pretty much walk down. I don't think it would be too hard to adopt the same for NC and the Routing modules.

I did hear that RSD was going to get the WF make-over in WF 4.0, which will be great. Hopefully one day it will even be built into the Pro E interface.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back