Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Missing reference

Jacoolo

Hello all

There is an assembly which opens successfully and all components are
shown in tree as fully constrained. There is no this little rectangle
icon near the file names. So every thing looks fine until.... until I
try to modify the placement of first component. It occurs than that one
constrain has missing ref.

Please tell me how is it possible that Pro\e does not fail when opening this assembly?

Is there a way to find out what this missing ref was?

I only have this one save!

thanks in advance

When you assembled the first component, you selected constraint, that no longer exists (component, that is external or component that no longer exists in your assembly). When opening Pro/E automatically freezes those kind of components (that used to have assembly constraint, but those constraints no longer exist), since it has saved the previous position of the component.

The solution is to redefine the first component and missing constraint or to recover missing component/feature that used to be assembly constraint.

I guess the assembly opens fine because in your config.pro the option freeze_failed_assy_comp is set to no, so its not required to redefine/reroute the component with the failing reference.

Nick

dojo You have right about this congig set

but the situation that Pro\e does not fail is stllnot clear for me because it happens often the the resolve mode opens while there is a missing ref when I open another assembly

so I still do not know what is the difference - why sometimes it will fail and sometimes not?

Use erase not displayed before you open next assembly. If you have same names in different assemblies pro/E fall in resolve mode.

muadib3d you are right Pro/E has a Bug where it will not fail with missing ref. I been talking to PTC about this big help that is. You might open a case with them to.

there was a moment we had opened the call for interchange assembly but there is no asnwer till now(two weeks!), so sorry I won`t do it again

I made a little investigation with this assembly and I found it has an external reference - two parts which are missing. We have PDMLInk and I go through all iterations but all of them has this problem with missing ref and those exter. refs, so maybe that is the problem

I think interesting me component was mounted with part wich is mentioned as ext. ref and now is missing. But even that Pro\e should failed in my opinion while regenerating the assembly

I've had such "external references" problems with drawings. There was only one drawing model, but ilink was keep asking me about external reference to some model, I've deleted from the assembly long time ago. Later I've had problems with the drawing having simp. reps. set and those were creating circular references. When I created new simp. rep. with no circular references and changed all the views and repeat region on the drawing, the drawing was still returning circular references warning and Pro/E crashed every time I want to load that drawing. I've found out, that the problem were notes with attachments to the "old" simp. rep. Since I've redefined the attachments of all the notes Pro/E doesn't crash anymore and drawing opens normally.

There are some weird things Pro/E does...

skraba You mentioned interesting problem - as far as I know there is not a tool to show all references that drawing is using, am I right?

BTW is there a way to find out if there is a drawin view with independent layers?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back