Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dual monitors -> Pro/E window size prob

jhyder79

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...

I'm currently using an HP xw4200 workstation with an NVidia Quadro FX 1300 video card and dual HP1955 19" LCD screens. I really love this setup because I can work in Pro/E in one screen and keep my engineering standards, prints, and other misc. info in the other screen for reference. I'm currently using the NVidia nView Window Manager to make running dual screens alot easier (it allows you to maximize a window in one screen rather than having it maximize across both screens). The nView software works perfectly for every application but Pro/E Wildfire which is the app I probably use the most. When I first open Pro/E it tries to expand across both screens but nView prevents this...when this happens I'm left with a Pro/E window with the right side vertical toolbar cut off and the model tree taking up about 1/3 of the screen. This is easily fixed by manually readjusting the Pro/E window, but I would like to set things up so that I don't have to manually readjust the window every time I open a new part or drawing. Does anyone know how configure nView and/or Pro/E so that this doesn't happen?

You can set your modeltree column width in screen configuration, but apart from that ?

The problem is that ProE is not a real Windows application. It communicates with Windows through the 'xtop' process you see in the task manager.

Alex

Try different versions of drivers until you get one that maximises
correctly. There are lots of them on the nVidia ftp site but try to use
the Quadro certified drivers rather than the GeForce drivers.

In a previous job I experimented extensively in 2001 on an 900XGL until
I I found a driver version that worked giving me the graphics window
maximised in the left monitor, the menus at the left of the right
monitor and the model tree undocked and expanded in the right monitor.

When unsuitable driver versions were used the Pro/E window would go half-way across the second monitor as well,

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Just checked through my notes and found that with 900XGL cards and
Win2k SP4 we got the best results for 2000i with driver version 41.04
and with 2001 build 2004010 we used 43.54. About 10 driver versions,
including much newer versions, were tested at the time but they didn't
work as the ones listed. There were also some DirectX 9 issues with
other driver
versions.

BTW I don't like LCD screens because of the blurring you get when you
spin and zoom shaded objects. CRTs are big and cumbersome but the
picture is much crisper and you can run them at 85Hz+.

If you have the desk space I would thoroughly recommend twin 21" flat screen CRT monitors to anyone.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

jhyder,

I have a somewhat similar config...and the same problem. I just recorded me 'fixing' the problem. I run the mapkey when I open pro, and then dont have to when I open new parts etc. Ill post mine here even though yours may be different

mapkey $F2 @MAPKEY_LABELResize;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `Windows`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `Windows.Restore`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Resize `main_dlg_cur` `main_dlg_cur`4 0.000000 0.000000 37.177648 \
mapkey(continued) 26.528774 ;~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `main_dlg_cur`2 0.000000 0.000000 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ LButtonArm `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 3 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 1 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -1 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -2 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -4 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -6 220 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -64 227 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 -66 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 0 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 1 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 2 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 4 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 6 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 7 228 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 7 229 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 8 229 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 6 229 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 6 230 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 230 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 231 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ LButtonDisarm `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 231 0 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ LButtonActivate `main_dlg_cur` `drawinarea_resizer`3 5 231 0;

rls

I would try adding this line to your config.pro

open_window_maximized YES

That will make sure your window opens the same way on startup. Also you should check under tools in the customize screen command and look under the navigation tabs tab and adjust the navigation window's width to what you want (I use 10.0). Make sure that those options are saved to the config.win file located with your config.pro. Generally it will automatically save, but make sure that the path is correct. Otherwise I would look at thevideo card drivers or messing with the options in nview manager, possibly making sure you have one of the displays set as the primary display. Hopefully some of this helps, as I had a similar setup with different problems though. Two displays are the best.

Thanks for all of the suggestions but it appears that schlipf's simple suggestion to creat a mapkey is the only one that works with my setup.

I like the mapkey idea to move the window where I want it, that worked great. The only problem that is nagging at me is the dialog boxes that appear inbetween both screens. Any ideas on how to fix that?

I'm using a Quadro card with the nview tools. Under Windows I have the "Center dialog box on disply" checked but Proe doesn't listen.

Have you triedchanging the Windows desktop propertites (righ click in the desktop)and changing the setup in there rather than in the NVidia software?

RD

I used to have about the same issue until I played with my display settings. Originally both monitors worked together in a mode called "Horziontal Span". It treats both displays on one. And when I opened Pro/E the window stretched across both displays with the exception of enough space for a menu on the right side of the second monitor. I switched display modes to "Dualview" where both monitors are independant. Now when I open Pro/E it opens like it would on a single display set up. I liked the "Horizontal Span" for the fact that it is more of a widescreen type set up where the task bar stretches across both screens, but I got tired of resizing the Pro/E window all the time or maximizing it to one display. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back