Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Question on Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fablola

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer but am hoping that you can help me.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I'm a computer programming student who doesn't know a lot about sensors but will need one for a project. I need info on the kind of sensors that can be programmed with a computer. Basically, I want the x and y co-ordinates of objects in motion to be collected and sent to the computer. Are there any such sensors that can be programmed and how much does one cost that will cover the size of a room. I've been on a few sites and I just don't understand the lingo. Anybody here have any idea?

Thanx

Fablola,

Based on my experience, mostly manufacturing, you are going to have a difficult time finding optical sensors that can detect something in a room. Most optical/ultrasonic sensors have a range up to 1 meter, after that, accuracy can decrease, price will increase.Maybescale down the room to 1 meter square.For optical type sensors I would look at Keyence or Omron.

If you'd really like to base your project in a normal sized room, make the object you're detecting give off an audible tone. That may work.

As far as interfacing with a computer, myexperience is using LabView and PLCs.

Good Luck,

Josh

there're many deferents types of sensors that could help you develope what are you trying to proof or measure. For expl. proximity,audio ( like suggested before), or maybe you could change the aplication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back