Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SM Flat Pattern Bug?

I took your model as is, and in the model tree I put my insert above your vss. Then I created the blend, and sheetmetal.

To make the flat patternIused my "pin ball hammer" and flattened it. lol
Edited by: especial

Thanks for the confusing and irrelevant reply, then.

-cheers
smiley5.gif

VSS is entirely the wrong tool to create this sort of feature.

check out

http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_24/howto/smd1311/smd1311.htm

where they use a blend with a lot less features to do this. I suspect
you have created a subtle fault with VSS that prevents sheetmetal from
unfolding it, like a wall
that does not terminate normally with respect to the adjacent driving
surface.

It is also possible that when you re-imported the iges and converted to
sheetmetal, that Pro/E fixed these inconsistencies for you allowing it
to be unfolded.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Thanks, DB.

I'm aware of how to model a transition that will unfold and most, if not all, the possible reasons for what I'm seeing.

Whether or not to call it "bug" is up to PTC. I was simply curious to see what happened in newer builds.

As for it being "entirely the wrong tool"; as it won't work I'll agree. Other than that; well, what's the point of further conjecture? A cylinder and that VSS quilt analyse to the same 5e-6 Gaussian curvature. Is there something I'm missing in my analysis?

The wrong tool was meant in terms of using an SUV when a car will do the job quicker and use less gas in the process.

Also I don't see why you didn't create this a thin section rather than a thickened surface.

This is not the first time I have seen people use VSSs when they could
have used a far simpler tool for the job and suffered less problems
along the way.

The quilt may not be the problem. It could be the part edge faces.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Thanks again. I'm sure you mean well but there is a reason I posted to this group vs. the Modeling group. With the exception of a definitive explanation for the failure I don't see any reason to continue this topic.

Try putting 4 tiny flats onto the large diameter circle, corresponding to the flats at the other end of the extrusion, unbend will then work fine.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back