Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bad cable, stay in your room!

rrleclair

HELP! I don't want to tell my cable where to go, but I do want to tell it where NOT to go. I have a cabinet, and a ground wire going from inside the cabinet to the door. Well I want to show the door in open and closed positions, and have the cable behave correctly, i.e. not going thru part of my cabinet only taking the "shortest route". I want to specify certain parts of the cabinet to "stay away from" by a certain distance so it doesn't go crashing into them. If I route the cable manually and give it certain points to pass thru, and give it a fixed length, it pukes as soon as I set the door to the oppostie position. I want the cable to just appear to be free flowing, but to stay away from those certain features. Anyone know how?

Much obliged
smiley18.gif

That isn't quite true!

The difficulty is using the correct modelling technique, and that's why so many people ask for help here.

Shrinkwraps are gimmicks, and I advocate creating anew assembly, inserts your assembly, and create your harnesses in this new "cabling assembly". there are dependencies, and an extra assembly, but who cares? You can use simplified reps to abbreviate detail relating to each harness.

Personally, I attach the cable hardware to the parts and route the cable through axes in my hardware. Alternatively, use some other sneaky features realted to your parts?

I have a complex electical box with two doors that move, and my cables regenerate fine - the cables are even attached to both moving door too.

Keeping the cable length should e possible but I'd have to investigate that for you.

Don't give up, and if you want, you can PM me if you want to send models etc.

Good luck

Dave

The cable length can be fixed between two locations. Create all your locations in your model. Route your wires/cables. Set your door to be in the position where the harness needs to be at its longest.

On the menu manager, goto MODIFY, LENGTH, FIX. Select the two points to specifiy the section of the harness that you want to fix. ProE will prompt you for the length. Accept this value as this is this longest section that you would need.

If you now go and modify the position of the door, this harness length will stay the same for that segment.

Hi rrleclair,

Pls follow the steps for creating the cable.

1.Create a CSYS in the door.
2.Create points refer to that CSYS created in the door.
3.Route the cable with those points.
4.you may need to adust the points considering both extreme positions of door.Its basically a trial and error method only.
5.But take care of your bend radius here.

The basic idea behind this since all the points are refering the CSYS that u've created on the door,the cable u've routed through the points will also be behave parametrically.

If you have any more doubt ,contact me

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back