Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extra Slices

MFegenbush

When I am machining by volume and using a window, Pro/NC always wants to add an extra slice or two to the bottom of any outside profiles. The way I have corrected this in the past is by deleting the extra slice (or slices) in the customize menu or making the workpiece bottom and the bottom of the profile in question the same. I know that there is a solution to this problem, but I cannot remember what it is.
View attachment 1741

View attachment 1742

The arrow points to the z depth that I want the cut to stop at (bottom of reference part)

Cheers,

MFegenbush

Edited by: MFegenbush

Apparently, if you redefine the mill window it is possible to specify a maximum depth. The default depth setting is the problem.

I hope someone else gets help from this...

MFegenbush

Sometimes this happens when the tool has a radius on it. I do not use "mill window" anymore because of the lack of control for final depth of the cutter path. I create a mill volume by extrusion, or revolve, etc., and then trim it tothe reference part. By doing this, you can more easily control the bottom surface of the mill volume and have greater control of the cutter path.

appinmi said:
Sometimes this happens when the tool has a radius on it. I do not use "mill window" anymore because of the lack of control for final depth of the cutter path. I create a mill volume by extrusion, or revolve, etc., and then trim it tothe reference part. By doing this, you can more easily control the bottom surface of the mill volume and have greater control of the cutter path.

Ditto that.

-mark

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back