Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

missing refs

socheck

Missing refs are driving me crazy. Here is the problem. I have a assembly with multiple parts that use assembly features such as assembly cuts and assembly points. For example an assembly point placed by the intersection of 3 surfaces. I do a replace part in assembly mode and the mentioned point should crash because of the missing surface ref that has just been replaced. The problem is that Pro does not crash this feature or prompt you to redefine this assembly feature unless you go into redefine and notice the red dot showing the surface reference is gone. Does anybody know if there is a config option to tell Pro to always crash missing refs.

thanks Jeff

That IS peculiar. Most people want ProE to not crash on failed features, etc. But it should at least give you a visual indication something is wrong (ie packaged icon).

I did find that if you go to Info; Parent/Child you will get notification. Unfortunately, you have to go select the feature to get that info.

<tg>

<DIV>

Thanks for the advice, I have been using a combo of info parent child as well as the global reference viewer - it just takes a long time to find all of the broken refs. The reason I want them to crash when I make the replace, is that the missing refs cause problems later on in inconsistent ways, such as missing refs for cross sections in drawing mode. I also save as the assemblies for other versions of similar assemblies, and once again these missing ref pup up and cause problems. It almost seems as if Pro is not fully regenerating ALL features, like its taking a short cut to speed up regen times. Does anyone know if Pro has been modified to speed up regen times by automatically making simplified reps, and then by skipping over them. Hmm

Thanks Jeff</DIV>

Proe only goes back so many features when it regenerates (as you suspected). A means of getting the whole thing to regenerate is to use the model player or "ModelCHECK Regernerate". This will show you the missing refs allright.. We have this all the time -Fire off modelcheck and in to resolvemode you go.

I have asked PTC for an option that forces regeneration of everything when files are opened (in my casedrawing tables did not update due to the model not fully regenerating, a pain when you automated your drawing plots) but there seems to be nothing you can set.

Option maybe(?): Create a mapkey that saves and then fully regenerates the model. Create an icon that looks the same as the save button. Replace the save button with your mapkey. Now at least you get the full regen of the model, and if it goes into RMode, you have a backupmodel saved to disk.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back