Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Basic Library

jtrodler

Hi Guys

Im am currently setting up an assembly for a uni project. For this i need a M16x1.5 Hex Nut and corresponding washer.

How do i acces the library and then retrieve the part and fit it into the assembly?

If any could help me please

Thank you

Joe

Have you installed Pro/Library, if yes then you browse and you will find what you need.

By default it is not installed , you need to install it separately.

Israr
Edited by: Israr

If it is installed, you will find it in the file open dialog box in the "Look In" fly out menu selection "BASIC LIB". If not you will have to down load the zip file MED-6XX-CD-330_2002490_BASIC-WIN.zip, extract it to a folder and burn a CD. Then put the CD in your drive and it will automatically start PTC SETUP. (You don't have to burn a CD to run it but I like to just to have a hard copy.)

Hi
I have a quick question about this topic. I have the "basic library installed and can add the component to the assembly, but as soon as I erase the part out of session and try to reopen the assembly it fails. I am also a little confused with the term "pro/Library" is that another module, or is that the "basic library" that comes with Pro E. Can someone please help me out?

dr_gallup

Where can I found the MED-6XX-CD-330_2002490_BASIC-WIN.zip file?

As jtrodler I am in a need of the library. If you can help me, please answer

Thanks

You need to have paid support and set up a user account at ptc.com.
Then go to http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/software_update/swupdate.jsp
and pick on Order or Download Software Updates. It will verify your
web account ad then show a list of software you have. Select
Pro/ENGINEER from the list of software. It will then load all the
versions of Pro/E available for download. It is a long list so wait
for the whole file to download. Search for WILDFIRE LIBRARY DATABASES,
it is near the bottom of the page. These are the most recent versions,
they have not changed for WF2 or WF3. Download the BASIC.ZIP file.

Pro/LIBRARYACCESS is a module of Pro/Engineer to allow use of library functions. It is bundeled with recent licenses so you should have it. Click Help/Technical Support Info and look in the Configured Option Modules for Pro/LIBRARYACCESS. If you have it but Pro/E is not finding the library modules you don't have the modules properly installed.

jill.daniel said:
Hi
I have the "basic library installed and can add the component to the assembly, but as soon as I erase the part out of session and try to reopen the assembly it fails.

This happens when you don't have write access to the library and you don't have rebuild the library catalog. First thing, write access is not necessery, since you probably don't want to change standard (library) parts. So it's better that the read only access to the library remains. Second thing, building the library catalog. I don't know how did you install the library, but good thing is to rebuild library catalog. You can do this with pro_build_library_ctg.bat command. But you have to set system variable PATH to the library directory first.

Thanks for the replies.
I do not have Pro/Libraryaccess, is that needed or can I get around this? We are a small starting up company that just has the basic pro e fundamentals and mechanism design module. I have read some more about library parts and there was a way to write search paths to find the parts, is this not mean for the basic library. If it isn't that would explain so much, as it is a pain to write search paths for each directory in the library.
And as for doing a bat command, I'm not familiar with where or how to exicute it. I realize this is probably more of an administration question than a pro e question, but could you give me more details on how to execute a bat command with pro e?
Thanks again
Jill

I don't know how did you install the library, but good thing is to rebuild library catalog. You can do this with pro_build_library_ctg.bat command. But you have to set system variable PATH to the library directory first. End Quote

To set this system file, do you mean a line has to be added to the config.pro? What line? Does this make it so you can actually see a catalogue of the parts so you can select what you want? I have always built my own parts, as I had no use for the library, but obviously I have not installed it proper.

Sip

What am I supposed to see when I execute that? All I see is a momentary black window.

When I am in pro/e how am I supposed to access the library? I can find the directory and the parts in it with huge family tables with names that mean nothing to me. I can open any of them but ittakes a lot of guesswork and searching to find exactly what I am looking for. That has always been the deterrent for me using it. How do people use the library? In a recent post someone mentioned a system path to the directory that has to be set before executing the batch file. What does that entail?

puzzled, Sip

My recommendation is to compile your own library complete with .mnu
files and recompiled library catalog and .idx files. That way you will
only have the parts in it that you need without being hidden amongst
masses of other parts you don't need and might not be able to purchase
anyway. They have a more recognisable name and they can have your part
numbers and descriptions to list in the B.o.M.s For example my hex nut
family table contains metric and imperial hex nuts and nylocs in the
sizes we use. We don't use anything below M6 and seldom go above M20
and if I change my mind, they are simple to replace with another
instance in the family table.

By all means copy PTCs and other
library parts to save time, but also create your own where necessary and get
all of them up to your own standards and set up the .mnu files correctly so you
can browse the library so much easier. Where you have a sub-assembly in
the library, it is generally not necessary to list the sub-component
parts in the .mnu file

View attachment 1963

By the way, if you want to retrieve instances from the
library (when the generic is not in session) by only entering the name
of the instance, you MUST have a search path to that folder; library
catalog isn't enough.

Dr Gallup gave you the wrong path

To invoke this batch file I have another batch file in my library containing

@ECHO OFF

set pro_library_dir=F:\MCAD\Library

cmd /c C:\ptc\%proversion%\bin\pro_build_library_ctg.bat

pause

which I run via a shortcut to rebuild the library catalog. You
should easily be able to edit it to suit your install paths. The pause
is essential in case the build fails due to duplicate file names.
%proversion% is a system environmental variable I use to control which
build of Pro/E is current as I run multiple versions and buildcodes

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Dell_Boy,

I poked around with this for a while, but I can't seem to make sense of it. Thanks foryour help anyway. When I have some time I'llsee if the help files have anything about it. I'm not hopeful.

Better get back to work...

Have a good week-end tomorrow, and an even better week-beginning.

Sip

Whoops forgot something

Just in case you are not familiar with batch file limitations, if you
have a path with an embedded space in it you will need to enclose the
full path in quotes; just like in shortcut paths.

For example

cmd /c "C:\Program Files\Wildfire 2\bin\pro_build_library_ctg.bat"

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Thanks, Dell_Boy

I'll see if I can do something with it tomorrow. I sure appreciate your time.

Sip

Hey guys..I am an engineering student and have two basic questions on libraries

Firstly how do I know if my college computers have library for parts..do I check them somewhere in the assembly..?

If I don't have them, what is the way to get them..? do I purchase the software somewhere..?

OK i am confused. I have downloaded the file and installed it. pro library also appears on the tech support info. How do I open or insert these parts. Someone said that it is suppose to be in the look in box, but I cant find it. Is there a config option for the path or something?

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back