Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Feature Names

Do you use feature names?

• Only when I need it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

• Huh?

• Total voters
IMHO,
This really depends on the complexity of the model, and how often u might be modified. So.

simple model -> no
involved model --> grouping into sections n renamed
very detailed model ---> rename most features.

hopefully i understood right :)

We are a manufacturing company that uses Pro/NC as our CAM system. We do not design our own parts. When we model a part, it is from a customer blueprint and we model it as we manufacture it. The first feature is a protrussion, (the raw stock). Everything else is a cut, to simulate the manufacturing process. We name the first feature of each operation with the operation number, ex. "____060____". We then create a family table using operation numbers as the "instance" names. We turn off all features that come after any given operation. This way, you have only one model that serves all. If you need to change a dimension for any reason, you only have to alter one model. Any later operation will automatically update.

I will only use feature name only on large parts or asm. I find it harder now to find features because WF2 name Proturtions and cut just proturtions.

I use feutare names in skeleton based top down models and also rename holesif there is a significant amount in the model im dealing with, I think the fact that in WF2 names protusions and cut the same is simply plain stupidity on PTC's part, anyone know is this is changing for WF3

Cheers

I rename features in models that I am working with alot. Also any datums I create for a cross section I rename (i.e. SECT-A-A).

you are right Speling,renaming featurescan't be used as a general rule, for an outsider can be , as you said, confusing; I work in the automotive industry and I design drawing tools for bearings, we have some name conventions for features and parts as well and this helps us a lot

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back