Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Backup of local users data (Pro/Intralink).

jgloor

Ok, I'll go first.

How are you handling the backup of local user data (.proi directory) in Windows?

Currently we are using two hard drive - zip .proi to the secondary hard drive.

This is fine for the minor problems (deleted workspace, bad drive, ...) but will not help disaster recover issues (fire, water damage, ...)

The best answer is a nightly check in, but that’s not always possible.

Thanks

We have the same concerns.

I am going to try a beta test of using Gigabit ethernet (1000-TX) to connect the client to a .proi server and see what the throughput is. If the response time is acceptable my goal will be to put all the .proi for all users on a server (RAID 0+1).

Another advantage of this is that you can set the PDM_LDB_DIR to a network share (i.e. \\proi_serve\$username) and the user can access their work from any workstation.

z

I used to manage a large (200 user) installation although with the cutbacks, I am down to just under 100. We have a network installation of ProEngineer and use a network drive for the .proi directories. All users have 100 mbit from desk to closet and for the most part gigabit to the data center. Currently our .proi server is only running 100 mbit, and I don't have many complaints. The .proi server is also all engineering users home dir, so it get quite a bit of use.

The biggest slowdown is checking a large assembly from Intralink to your workspace, which might take 5 minutes.

The way I backup the .proi folder on each client is by way of a batch program on my server that backsup the file/data vault everyday.

This batch program does the following:

REM THE FOLLOWING WILL CREATE ALL NECESSARY DUMP FILES AND LOGS

REM NEEDED FOR A COMPLETE BACKUP.

echo ------------------------------ >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

echo Ilink Backup Start >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

date /T >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

time /T >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

REM stop the data server

call dbshut_ilink.bat

rem===============================================================

rem THIS SECTION WILL COPY CLIENT WORKSPACES TO SERVER FOR BACKING UP

xcopy \\COMPUTER NAME GOES HERE\workspace\ d:\COMPUTER NAME GOES HERE\ /s /y

REM===============================================================

Rem Go to Sleep, THIS WILL ENSURE ENOUGH TIME HAS PASSED FOR THE XCOPY

Sleep.exe 14400

REM Start the data server

call dbstart_ilink.bat

REM Create dump file

call d:\ptcilink\dataserver\intralink\export\ilink_export manager d:\Intralink_Backup_Dump\ilink_dump.dmp

REM Run the Xref Report - in the batchfiles directory

c:

cd c:\batchfiles

call d:\ptcilink\dataserver\intralink\objects\ilink_object_report.bat < c:\batchfiles\ior_input.dat

Echo xref report completed >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

date /T >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

time /T >> c:\batchfiles\backup.log

REM stop the data server

call dbshut_ilink.bat

JEESH, I ALMOST FORGOT.

I use the scheduler on my server to run this batch program everynite first thing then I use backup exec to completely back up my server.

Help.... I have Two workspaces That have been deleted. And need to recover some drawings. I have the trail files. Can I...

1. Import the trail File into a new work space Making sure I import all.

2. Open the drawing in Pro/E.

3. Delete all files in that WorkSpace.

4. Check Drawing out of CommonSpace.

5. Then save the drawing I still have in session.

6. And then check that drawing back into CommonSpace...

Please E-mail me @ [email protected]

CC: [email protected]

With any decent backup utility i.e. Arcserve you can backup any folder on any machine on your network.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back