Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Picking techniques in WF2

rob1wal

The way you pick now in Wildfire is crap!!!! Why should I have to pick 3 times to pick one surface!!!!!!!!! Sort it PTC.........

Yeah I've used the filter and RMB....What gets me is for example, you've a group of edges that need picking you change the filter etc and as you click, unless your cursor is held over the edge for a while and click the chain becomes deselected, even though the edge highlighted in blue before you clicked. Becomes very frustrating after a while, you should just be able to click away and geom should pick. And oh I LOVE the shift and re select.....who the hell thought of that???!!!! If PTC think they are becoming more user friendly, they should think again.

Rob, couldnt agree more.

PTC sent the software somewhere to be 'developed' by gui hackers who didnt have a clue (must have been cheap)

Original creator (Russian?) of ProE could relaunch without infringement!

Wildfire is only to sell to new customers.

PTC want us to steer with our feet now, but they removed the steering wheel, leaving only a sharp spline!

smiley11.gif

I totally agree. I want to count how many wasted selection picks I make a day and charge PTC a dollar for each one. Maybe they would take that off our maintenance amount. I would save the company the money and time I waste now making 5 picks just to select an item. Especially in a drawing....it is BRUTAL!

RMB...LMB...RMB...LMB....RMB....and on and on!

I am not sure what the problem is. I learned on 2001 and am now using both WF2 and 2001. I prefer most things about WF2 over 2001, especially the selection. I mean imagine the concept they came out with of being able to see what you are selecting before you select it.

What date code are you using? There have been selection problems in various date codes. Also, I have seen some selection problems do to Graphics cards and g-card drivers.

I am currently using an older unix sun station
smiley11.gif
... it has some problems selecting. At my prior job I had a nice Dell workstation- fully loaded
smiley4.gif

I am not sure if they still have them or not, but at one time PTC had some Selection Tutorials on their site that were helpful.

The PTC (Netesh Gohil)
smiley32.gif
selection tutorial for WF2 is excellent / first rate.

The new selection philosophy is what is so poor
smiley11.gif
, at least there should be a 'go back to explicit sel by menu' config option.

100mph. is no longer a baseline in ProE because WF selection has speed restrictor at 56mph.
smiley36.gif

"I mean imagine the concept they came out with of being able to see what you are selecting before you select it."

Yes, but many times when it is highlighted, then you select, it unhighlights and you get nothing. Drive's me absolutely nuts.

"nice Dell workstation- fully loaded "

Ins't that an Oxymoron?? LOL
smiley1.gif

"Yes, but many times when it is highlighted, then you select, it unhighlights and you get nothing."

It is frustrating when that happens. I have not had that happen in M170. I do recall that on M110... i think was the date code.

And what made the Dell so nice was the 3.2 Xeon, with 2g of ram & a Wildcat 4 Graphics Card
smiley32.gif

I'll have to agree with Nick.

We have had selection problems in the past due primarily to graphics drivers and/or datecodes(build or version #). Currently running WF2.0 M080 on Dell Workstation 450, Quadro4 900 XGL with 6722 driver version. Not the best PC/card comboat all, but we found this driver to work the best. Currently NO problems with selection method. ... furthermore ... I run a dual P3 workstation at the house with a Wildcat 4210 card (PC/card combo outdated by most peoples' standards), and WF2.0 will run circles around my company's Dell!

Widcat cards rock for CAD!

yep, agree totally with thread starter.. its been gheyed up as bad as spin/pan/zoom once it was taken off the crtl+mouse methodology

and clicking a filter to click an entity... omgwtfghey... whose the spaz that decided that :rolleyes:

The GUI hackers were grad students at Baylor College in MA. I
think user testing should be done and inquire more from advanced users.

superdutynick said:
I mean imagine the concept they came out with of being able to see what you are selecting before you select it.

CATIA V2R2 had pre-select highlighting in circa 1988 except back then it worked.

Have you tried downloading and installing WebTools 2 & 3 locally so you can get immediate access to those tutorials.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back