Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/NC powering CNC Machine

Uni Phil

I learnt how to machine using pro/e in uni and did bloody well at it to, and have now decided to purchase myself a little cnc mini mill for the shed and have been told to use something called TurboCNC.

Now, as I see it, if I'm trained in using pro/e to cut paths and produce G Codes, and use vericut to simulate it, why don't I do just that.
Problem is, we were never tought how Pro/e interacts with a CNC mill or if it's even possible for that either.

So............Is it possble to link pro/e to a CNC machine, and if so how?

I have WF 2.0 and a 3 axis mill (soon to be upgraded to 4 axis) and am running a Dell Precision M60 with which the CNC machine will be linked via the parallel port.

Also, what would you guys and girls recommend for learning, ie, book name, certain CD training guide etc etc.

Cheers

Phil

I'm not proficient at pro/manufacturing (as in I have NC Complete, but I use
GibbsCAM) but, all you really need to do is find a compatible postprocessor
(should be in the postprocessor library), post, and upload to your CNC
machine via rs-232 port. Most controls are G code and FANUC compatible.

You should not have a problem if you generated cut paths and g-codes before. You would need to find out what and if it uses special G-codes. Most machines are Fanuc Formatcompatible. You would need to configure your post or maybe even download a post from PTC. You may have to tweak it for the final out put and to your liking.

All you need is a little communications software (can also be done thru the windows Hyperterminal).

There are some others out there like Preditor (it is a good one). There ar other ones out there as well and they are inexpensive.You can als DNC (that if your program is to large to fit in memory of you CNC). Maybe your CNC will except a flascard or maybe it is network ready (a lot of the newerCNC's are). Then it would be real easy. Just hook it uo to your nework.

I also use a Dell M60 and it works like a charm. I do all my programming with Pro/Mfg and my posting with Campost (Standalone Post from Icam). Don't need Proe to run in order to post.

Hope this helps

my 2 cents on post processors: start with a new one instead of downloading and tweaking.

they are pretty easy to create from scratch

Uni Phil said:
So............Is it possble to link pro/e to a CNC machine, and if so how?

Good responses on this tread, but basically PTC does NOT provide any CNC communication software.

Like tmay and TonyJager stated,post produced G-code isdownloaded via separate communication software to machines RS-232 port. And additionally like Tony stated, some newer machines are network capable (RJ45, PCI, etc.), some even have floppy drives.

My advice is to check with your Machine Tool Manufacture and find out what your options are to get G-code to machine and then obtain appropriate software, networking, disks, cabling or whatever. If it is RS-232, make sure you get the proper cable pin-out for your machine. We (my workplace) even have some old relic machines that still use paper-tape to get programs to the machines!

PTC does not include any DNC software, but if you already are communicating with the machine tool use that program. PTC allows you to set file locations, and the post processorcan set the tape file extention to reflect what you currently are using. However there are many dnc companies that do an excellent job and can be found using the web.

Uni
Plug the RS-232 cable into the serial port on your laptop, not the parallel. Run HyperTerminal (under accessories/com in winxp). Setup up a connection, call it what every you want, select com1 or 2 depending on what your serial is set at, set the baud 9600 should work on older machines, newer ones can go up to 19200 (and probably higher but that is the highest I've used, distance from the machine is a factor), set bits, 7 or 8 (most likely 7), set parity (try even), stop bits (try 1), flow control (try xon/xoff). Make sure the machine is ready to receive and send file. This way is a little ghetto but is worth a trying its free. Hope it helps.

proejunkie said:
Uni
Plug the RS-232 cable into the serial port on your laptop, not the parallel. Run HyperTerminal (under accessories/com in winxp). Setup up a connection, call it what every you want, select com1 or 2 depending on what your serial is set at, set the baud 9600 should work on older machines, newer ones can go up to 19200 (and probably higher but that is the highest I've used, distance from the machine is a factor), set bits, 7 or 8 (most likely 7), set parity (try even), stop bits (try 1), flow control (try xon/xoff). Make sure the machine is ready to receive and send file. This way is a little ghetto but is worth a trying its free. Hope it helps.

Problem is the connector from the control board on the CNC is to a parallel port and not a serial. I have com ports and a parallel on the M60 but thats it.

thanks for the idea though.

Uni
You can use an adapter, parallel to serial, a bunch of our machines use them. Do you have Radio Shack in UK?

proejunkie said:
Uni
You can use an adapter, parallel to serial, a bunch of our machines use them. Do you have Radio Shack in UK?

Ha Ha, sorry the radio shack made me chuckle a bit. I was working in LA recently and found radio shack had absolutely nothing useful. In the UK we have Maplins which is kind of like what radio shack used to be like. I'm sure I'll find one there.

I'll try and get one tomorrow and. Cheers for the tip
smiley2.gif

Uni

Sorry about the Radio Shack thing I was afraid of that. I had to consult our expert. Here's the skinny.

You need to check your pin connections in the cable. On a 25 pin to 25 pin connection a few things need to happen. I uploaded a picture of what I'm about to tell you but it hasn't posted yet. Picture is of modifications that need to be made to the cable to make communication possible on Fanuc controls, your controller may be different, check the operators manual to be sure. Also check the communication settings in the controller. A general rule is, the longer the cable is ,the slower the baud rate should be to ensure the data is correct. Hyperterminal can be used to communicate to the machine but it is cumbersome.

Here are the wire adjustments for 25 to 9 pin and 25 to 25. I wasn't successful with uploading a jpeg to the files area, so screw it see if you can make any sense of this.

DB-25DB-9
SD 2 ------ 2 RD
RD 3 ------ 3 SD
RS 4 ------ 8 CS
CS 5 ------ 7 RS
SG 7 ------ 5 SG
DR 6 ------ 1 CD AND 4 ER
CD 8 AND ER 20 ----- 6 DR
FG 1 ---- CABLE SHIELD ONE END ONLY

DB-25DB-25
SD 2 ------ 3 RD
RD 3 ------ 2 SD
RS 4 ------ 5 CS
CS 5 ------ 4 RS
SG------ 7 SG (WHATEVER THAT MEANS)
DR 6 ------ 8 CD AND 20 ER
CD 8 AND ER 20 ----- 6 DR
FG 1 ---- CABLE SHIELD ONE END ONLY

You can use a DB-9 to DB-25 cable but would still need an adaptor called a null modem. We have several machines that take different pin outs (wire diagram above). So it is best if you find out what the appropriate pin out for your controller type is, or you may get RS232 errors will trying to download. Also locate your communication parameters in your controller and make sure they are the same as the software parameters. (parameters being the 9600,7,1,even,handshake that proejunkie was refering to)

By the way, the cable and null modem can be purchased at most electonics stores. This setup will work on most or all Fanucs that I'm aware of, but not on some other controller types.

We also use Hyperterminal on some of our machines, you might have to change some of the option settings.

View attachment 1590

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back