Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Preffered CAM System for Pro/E

If you could pick from any cam system, what would it be?

• Prismatic Milling option from PTC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MasterCAM

• GibbsCAM

• SurfCAM

• Esprit

• Total voters

llf264

Or others... Peps or BobCAD or whatever. Feel free to throw in some reasons or a profile of your shop to help show where your decision came from... or just vote. I need to purchase one this coming year. Thanks guys.

As far as I know, if you purchase the "manufacturing" seat of Poe/e, it comes with a very good post processor, "Intercim's G-POST". You can do just about anything with it that you want to. Using Pro/e for manufacturing retains the parametrics between the model and the machining. Most other software, you have to import the model as a "igs" or "step" file. If the model changes, you must "re-import" it and reprogram it.

EdgeCAM is another good one. But seriously ...

Larron,

I would definitely persue Pro/Engineer. We have all modules, Complete Machining (which contains prismatic and production) and NC sheetmetal. But we also had PTC contracted 3rd party to train and implement which I would HIGHLY recomend. ProActive services did ours, Austin N.C. Inc. is another. Like the CAD side of ProE, the CAM side is equally or harded to learn but worth it. There isn't any substitution for associativity and the same GUI.

http://www.proactiveservices.com

http://www.austinnc.com

We've used Esprit, NC Polaris, Radan, Applicon, and EdgeCAM. Both NC Polaris and Applicon are out of bussiness. Esprit and EdgeCAM are machining and Radan is sheetmetal. PTC offers everthing and so far, there is nothing it can't do that the others can.
smiley24.gif
, better said it can do everyhthing that the others do.
smiley9.gif
There are few companies that support these services at this level, so if you are using Pro/ENGINEER CAD, stick with the same for CAM.

Afternoon all

We currently create the toolpaths in Pro/NC and then Post in a third party software. Word is on the grapevine that we may be changing to MasterCam... Does anyone use this ? Is it any good ?

Taz

After an in depth review and analysis of the offerings on the market... even with MasterCAM being the s/w of choice for the local community college... it seems clear that The Pro/E packaged with it's internal CAM package really is the way to go. Thank you to everyone I've had offline conversations with. I really appreciate your support and advice. Training is key to realy get the most out of it. There is so much there that people just don't use...

Thanks again everyone... It looks like Chicago is going to have another user soon !!

www.designfab.us should be up and running within 60 days.
smiley20.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back