Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Circling trough file names with keyboard

Isair

It is Christmas time so here are my wishes:
It would be nice if you have options like in Windows that when you in Proe click open and you want to find a file with starting letter T, then you pres "T" on keyboard and woila it is marked first file with T.
I would also like this in all other segments of Proe (model tree, layer tree, menu manager, parameters,etc.).

Second wish is that layouts, relations and parameters could be more flexible and have much more options (especial in relations). I have feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that those segments of Proe are falling behind in Proe versions (I think nothing has change from 200i till now), what is real shame because those are powerful tools of Proe.
Here is example of what I'm thinking: if layout could read parameters FROM skeletons and then you can use those parameters in layout relations (analyzes parameter), in relations we could use a more programing functions, let say:

(PRAM_1+0.85)/PARAM_2=SOLUTION
IF SOLUTION=REAL_NUMBER
PARAM_3=PARAM_4*PARAM_5
ELSE
IF SOLUTION=INTEGER
PARAM_3=PARAM_6
ENDIF
ENDIF

In other words that you have control to test what type of value you got from results (in this case SOLUTION isn't parameter it is just number, and I wont option to test what type of number that is).

Hope I'm not alone in this
smiley2.gif

I would like to have a helmet that is connected to my brain and would read directly form my cerebral cortex to a pro translator that would do my modeling for me so i would have more time to play online poker
smiley17.gif

I have been wishing for the keyboard thing for a while. I've seen that on a different cad software our parent company uses...Cadra....and often wished hey,wouldn' thatbe nice.
smiley1.gif

Isair said:
It is Christmas time so here are my wishes:
It would be nice if you have options like in Windows that when you in Proe click open and you want to find a file with starting letter T, then you pres "T" on keyboard and woila it is marked first file with T.

This is how most if not all other Windows applications work... I'm actually surprised that Pro/E does not follow the same rules in the file-open dialog box...

But then again, Pro/E also uses the UNIX-style file sorting system in the file open-dialog box wherein capitalized names come before lower-case names.

-Brian

Thats true, but lunching WildFire with integrated browser and explorer to get Microsoft certificate (and it was also the main cause of crashing wildifre in early versions) to get more OS and user friendly it would be nice to have one step more with that same accessories. And not only in file opening menu, also in parameters, model tree etc.

You can...

Type F* (if your filename begins with "F"), it will list only files beginnng with F.

Yes this only works with file opening, nowhere else. My goal is to work within all other sections of ProE (like I said before => parameters, view manager, model tree etc).

Ok so I was using WildFire 3 and found out that file opening/set working directory supports when you type "T" to find folder or file name starting with "T". Also are supported big and small letters (for big you must press caps lock).

Finally
smiley20.gif

Cool!
smiley32.gif
I'll be able to get rid of all these mapkeys...

oa Open a* files ... oz Open z* files
o1 Open 1* files ... o9 Open 9* files
ia Assemble (insert) a* ... izAssemble (insert) z*
i1Assemble (insert)1* ... i9 Assemble (insert) 9*

<tg>

also this
<H1>Retrieving Objects Using Wildcards</H1>
When you are retrieving objects, you can enter wildcard characters for object names, their extensions, and directory names. You cannot use wildcards in place of version numbers.
The match syntax is
<UL>
<LI =kadov-P-CTopic-Text-Bulleted>
An asterisk (*) can replace any number of characters.
A question mark (?) can replace any one character. When the question mark is entered alone, you get the complete listing of the appropriate objects in the directory.
If you retrieve a file from a non-working directory, rename the file and then save it, the renamed file is saved to the directory from which it was originally retrieved. It is not saved in the current working directory.</LI>[/list]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back