Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wiring Diagrams -- what system to use?

mgilpatric

We use Pro/Diagram now to make our wiring diagrams. Our products have pretty simple electrical circuits that range from two or three components up to about30 components. We don't design electronics, but would include an electronic controller as a component in our products. Now that Pro/Diagram is being replaced by RSD, I would like to know what others use for their diagrams.

We take advantage of the wire and component parameters in Pro/Diagram to make wire lists with terminal information on them. I am hesistent to switch to doing diagrams only with Pro/Detail since we would not be able to make the automatic wire tables and I think it would be combersome to draw a diagram in Detail.

I looked at RSD and it seems to have more capabilities than Diagram and probably is more complicated to learn. Our engineers do diagrams as a small portion of a project. They are not dedicated to electrical design. I think learing and using RSD will be more difficult than Diagram. I even hear a lot of complaints about how complicated Diagram is to use although I think that is overcome with a little experience.

Can you let me know what alternatives to Diagram and RSD you use for creating wiring diagrams. I am open tosolutions that run inside of Pro/E or separate software. It would be nice if the software would integrate well with Intralink which we also use.

Have you thought about Microsoft Visio?

It comes with a range of libraries for different circuit applications as hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics and more.

It is also possible to customize symbols and create new ones.

I find it very useful as a non frequent user (mainly for hydraulic circuits).
It is easier to use than AutoCad (wouldnt even consider Pro/Detail....)

Theres a free trial version at microsoft.com

regards
Anders

If you have Pro/Diagram I assume you know that you also have RSD for free of charge

Also you may want to know that there is a tutorial on RSD under the load point so that you can learn how to use it

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back