Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"GRAPHICS OPENGL" in config.pro works NOT

toddhuizingh

I'm trying to use a dual monitor setup with 2 videocards, one for each monitor, and when I start PRO/E 2000i2 it runs in WIN32_GDI mode. If I disable the 2nd monitor, it runs in OPENGL mode just fine. I did as much research as I possibly can and I found that PRO/E 2000i2 does indeed detect dual video and overides the GRAPHICS OPENGL statement in config.pro. I also found that some people were able to over ride this with some registry settings. However, I did not find what these changes were. I just wondered if anyone out there knows how to do this in the registry.

Thanks,
TH

Don't know about the registry settings, but normally (if config.pro doesn't work) you could try settning it as an argument in the startcommand.

Example: c:\ptc\proe\bin\proe.bat -g:eek:pengl

Another general thing I have seen is that if all the persuationin the world can not get proe to run in opengl, then it's due to old graphics drivers. You could try upgrading.

Lastely, I think I saw a thread about this in this forum. Make a search. It was about 2 monitors and problems arising, can't remember the details though.

/Good luck!

Caddie, thank you for your response.

caddie said:
Don't know about the registry settings, but normally (if config.pro doesn't work) you could try settning it as an argument in the startcommand.

Example: c:\ptc\proe\bin\proe.bat -g:eek:pengl

Yes, I had tried that once before but since you mentioned it I thought I'dgive itanothertry andit still does not work.

caddie said:
Another general thing I have seen is that if all the persuationin the world can not get proe to run in opengl, then it's due to old graphics drivers. You could try upgrading.

I'm using an NvidiaGeForce 7800GT and a 6200 both with the latest drivers. Each card is driving its own monitor.When I switch back to a single monitor on either card, Pro/e runs in opengl modejust fine. But switch to dual mode (each card driving 1 monitor) and pro/e runs win32_gdiwhich makes me believe its not the drivers.

caddie said:
Lastely, I think I saw a thread about this in this forum. Make a search. It was about 2 monitors and problems arising, can't remember the details though.

/Good luck!

Yes, this one...

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22 098&KW=opengl[/url]

I've read it a few times already. Starts out with the same exact problem, but never really gets resolved, except maybe to run monitors in horizontal span mode which I can't nor do not want to do (I'll explain if you want me to).

I found a similar problem here: [url]http://www.ptcuser.org/exploder/pro-user/200107/msg00352.htm l[/url]where someone with dual monitors was able to force pro/e to run opengl by way of the registry...unfortunately I can't find out how.

Thanks again,
TH

PTC articles cannot be posted as they are copyrighted.

Your graphic cards are not supported cards, which may be the start of your problem.

looslib said:
PTC articles cannot be posted as they are copyrighted.

Your graphic cards are not supported cards, which may be the start of your problem.

Maybe someone can just give me the gist of them then??

Yes, I have unsupported cards, and I do plan on buying a Quadro, but I have to convince my boss first that it will work (dual display that is). Right now I'm skeptical because of this:
<H1>Troubleshooting - #AP-01</H1>
<H2>I am running Pro/ENGINEER over multiple monitors on Windows 2000 and the performance is poor</H2>

PTC have confirmed that it is a feature of Pro/ENGINEER to automatically disable OpenGL acceleration if the application detects a dual monitor configuration under Windows 2000, and revert to running in WIN32_GDI mode.

The gist is the problemwas fixed in Wildfire so you should have your boss not only spring for a new graphics card but for maintenance also.

mgnt8 said:
The gist is the problemwas fixed in Wildfire so you should have your boss not only spring for a new graphics card but for maintenance also.

Upgrade hardware, upgrade $oftware. Yeah, why mess around with a silly registry change anyway.

You would probably be a lot better off using one big monitor now that 24" LCDs are under $1000. That's a lot cheaper than paying back maintenance!

toddhuizingh said:
Upgrade hardware, upgrade $oftware. Yeah, why mess around with a silly registry change anyway.

Especially whenany silly registry changes won't do you anydamn good. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

mgnt8 said:
toddhuizingh said:

Especially whenany silly registry changes won't do you anydamn good. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

What, do you work for PTC or something? Maybe you can tell me what a maintenance contract for pro/engineer +intralink +advanced asm. is up to these days. Anyways I'm not looking for a free lunch, just one that I can afford. Besides, I've given PTC plenty of $$,$$$ over the years so lay off.

Ibelieve it has been done before - the registry thing that is. The followingis from another forum talking about the same topic posted a few years ago (but then againyou can't always believe what some schmuck in apro/e forumsays)...

...Then with the help of my workstation supplier tech support, I was told what to do. After installing the drivers I had to edit the registry file and change/add some entries. I do not know the exacts steps anymore, but the information was on the 3dlabs.com website. The link she sent me no longer works. http://www.3dlabs.com/support/proefaq.asp I know this isn't your exact problem But I hope it helps to point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

============================================================ =============
Check out this link, I had to make the change to my system registry "regedit" to force Pro/E into OpenGL. Hope this helps.

http://www.3dlabs.com/support/troubleshooting/ap-01.htm

============================================================ ===========
I had the same problem....

Don't say I never did anything for you, although all those prouser exploder guys who think we're all illegal won't be happy about it:

On the Windows workstation, select Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display
Properties to open the Display Properties dialog window. On the "Settings" tab
uncheck the "Extend Windows desktop onto this monitor." option. Select "Apply"
and "OK" to apply this setting.

This was a Wildfire fix so I doubt its going to help 2000i2. As Dr. Gallup said, big monitors with fast response times are getting cheaper all the time. Try www.newegg.com, they might have some Christmas deals.

Thanks mgnt8.

I did happen to gain access to the pages through a friendafter this thread started, so I have seen them. The "Alternate Technique" that you posted from these pages is how windows turns on and off the 2nd monitor. In other words, their work-around is to switch back to one monitor!!! And if someone complains about that being copyrighted,well...whatever.

I agree, the 24" wide screen would be a great way to go. I think I'm past the point of no return now however with my dual 20" widescreens, and even though it would be cheaper to buy the monitor, I think its time we upgraded to wildfire. Now I've justgotto sell that to my boss.

Cheers.
TH

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back