Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

tapped holes in an assembly

JRAMOS

When I incert a tapped hole in a part I have the option of doing a thru all or to a selected surface, I then can go into the shape menu and make the threads a thru all also. I need to do the same thing in an assembly. Is there a way I can. The only deepth options are thru all, or blinded. If I pick thru all (which is not want I want to do I would rather pick a surface, but don't have that option) I still can not pick the the threads to be thru all. The option is grayed out. are there config settings that can give you more options for the depth of the hole, and/or the thread depth???

Thanks for any help.

I understand your pain. However I think the more important question hear is should you create the hole feature or any other feature for that matter in the assembly mode.

while I will admit that their are occasions that require creating features in the assemble mode. The fact is that 99% of the time it is just a bad Idea. it is just to easy to start making circular references and they may not update properly.

In this case what you want to ask yourself is are these hole machined in each part separately or while they are assembled. If it is done while they are assembled then you are right to want to put the hole in at this point you are just going about it the wrong way.

Here are 2 of the ways you could do it (but their are more ways).

1. <LI>Create shrink wrap of the assemble into a part and then add your hole feature.</LI>
    <LI>The better of the two would be to start a new part and insert the geometry from each of the assembled parts using the external inheritance feature. after you have done this then you can add whatever features you want them all to get and the features will be in part mode so they will work just fine.</LI>

Hope this helps

Good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back