Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem Cam Assembly

TedJ1

<DIV>Hi everyone,</DIV>

<DIV>When using ProE's Mechanism application with a simple cam assembly, I can't understand why the cam arm successfully goes half way around the curve (with the elliptical follower tracking as it should) and then, instead of continuing on around the curve, the cam starts tracking backwards along the first half of the elliptical follower. Can anyone help? If interest, you can find my assembly and part files here:</DIV>

<DIV>http://www.afafa.org/Unlinked/Problem_Cam_Assembly.zip</DIV>

<DIV>I'm using Wildfire Student Edition (Date Code - M150).</DIV>

<DIV>Thanks.</DIV>
<DIV> Ted</DIV>

Hi Israr,

I was already using dynamic analysis. I see no obvious problems with initial conditions. Maybe I don't know what to look for. Can you tell me what to be mindful of? Would contention between the action of the spring and the momentum of the swinging elliptical part at the midpoint of the swing have to do with the ability of the cam toremain in contact throughthe latter 180degrees of the elliptical surface?

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Israr,

I finally figured it out. Turned out that the spring constant was way too low such that the elliptical part just kept on moving under its own momentum past the midpoint with the cam just following along behind. Your suggestion helped lead in the right direction. Thanks.

Ted

TedJ1,

Its fine you have figured it out. Would be nice if you attach the solved assembly zip file here such that others can learn.

Israr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back