Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bill Of Materials how to???

lcl

Hi champs,

I'm working in Mexico, and I'm a member of the local ProE users forums. There is a topic that is bringing us up side down. I hope some one here can help me (us). the problem is as follows:

I design in MM but 90% of my work must be prited out in IN dimensions. I have my own table for my BOMs. I want the 3 major dimensions to appear automaticly on my BOM on just one cell (dimX X dimY X dimZ) in Inches (remember that i use MM for my parts and assemblies) with 3 decimal places. I belive that I have to create a STRING, that reads and converts parameters in order to obtain what I want formated as shown above and 3 decimal places.

The problem is bigger when I create a part inside a assembly using datum planes and other datums as referencies and no dimensions are inputed.

Does anybody have solutions or tips for this.

I belive that this is possible. AFTER ALL EVERYTHING CAN BE DONE WHEN YOU USE PROE.

I'm using WF2.

Regards and thanks

Yes it can be done without resorting to strings and I assume you want to keep your model in mm.

Suppose the metric major dimensions are called length, width and height.

Create the relations

dimx = length/25.4

dimy = width/25.4

dimz = height/25.4

which will auto-create the three dims as parameters.

In your table cell enter

{0:&asm.mbr.dimx[.3]}{1: x }{2:&asm.mbr.dimy[.3]}{3: x }{4:&asm.mbr.dimz[.3]}

which will show each dimension to 3 decimal places.

If you have any parts that don't have driving dimensions that specify
the length width or height, use a combination of other dimensions or
create a reference dimension and use that in the relation instead.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Don't do the D parameter as a string. Delete the D parameter, you don't need or want it.

The column of the table is filled with the listed combination of 3 numerical parameters

The equations

dimx = length/25.4

dimy = width/25.4

dimz = height/25.4

are to be entered as "relations". If the dimension "length" changes so will "dimx".

I don't think Pro/E can automatically work out the orthogonal
bounding dimensions for you so you have to be prepared to give it a little help.

The method I am suggesting you do to your parts does three things.

1. Sets up the variables that contains the information you require.

2. Gives a uniform name from part to part.

3. Converts it from metric to imperial

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back