Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

5 axis surfacing

appinmi

I am trying to machine an impeller. I am trying to surface mill the coned surface in between the fins. The cone is at a 52.77

Could you provide some visuals? Picture's worth 1000 words
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif

Allan, I've tried to reproduce your situation, but my results are very
different from yours... can you post screenshot of your param. window
you're using?

Thanks

-mark

What is a param. window? Is it the parameters used in this sequence? Also, I realized that is wasn't the "tilt angle" parameter, but it is the "lead angle" parameter that must be changed.
Edited by: appinmi

The sequence type is "SURFACE, 5 AXIS" WITH "CUTLINE" DEFINED. Here is the parameters that I used. I had to clip some parameters to get the file size below 50K. Any parameter not listed is "-".

View attachment 1371

appinmi said:
<>The sequence type is "SURFACE, 5 AXIS" WITH "CUTLINE" DEFINED. Here is the parameters that I used....

Allan,

you're right, it does make about 1deg B-axis movement and Y is off-center. Weird.

Furthermore, if the top of the fin is not specified as CHECK SURFACE, this sequence will actually gouge the part, yuck.

I'll keep working on it but if you find a solution in the meantime, please let us know as well.

Thanks,

-mark

Allan

I think that I would approach that toolpath with 4th axis machining !

Create a CS at desired B axis angle to lock the B it is locked then !

I hope this helps

Mace

You cannot use 4 axis milling because when using "4 axis milling", you must pick a "plane" to keep the tool axis parallel to. In this case the tool axis will ba parallel to a cone.

Appinmi

Sorry I should have been more clear.

Pick the face of your cone.

Then use 4X_tilt_angle in the parameter tree of 4th axis surface milling to achieve angle desired.

It has been a year or so since I last had to do this so I had to look!

Mace

Edited by: mace

The "tilt angle" parameter tilts the tool from side to side. I need to tilt the tool up and down which is the "lead angle" parameter which is not available in "4 axis" milling.

Appinmi

It is avalible in my 4th axis parameters!

And you have have those parameters confused I am doing it right now !

Lead angle rotates the tool about the 4th axis axis

Tilt angle rotates the tool about the 4th axis plane you pick

View attachment 1397

so these parameters switch a bull mill from using tip to using side so that I may surface with the side of the mill and use step over of .1 and get very nice finishes on an O.D.

View attachment 1398

Mace

Edited by: mace

Yes !!! That did the trick, but I had to use the "tilt angle" not the "lead angle" to get the final results. I wouldn't have guessed that you could get a 5 axis cut from a 4 axis sequence. I want to thank you all for your help, especially Mace !!!!

The best approach to machine this condition would be to use AXIS DEFINITION. Not Lead or Tilt. This is a complex method of machining but once developed returns the desired results. It takes some thought, and trial angles to achieve. Having someone who has done this before to help you is definately recomended.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back