Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Depth Control Using Top Chamfer Feature

soddyboy

I am new to Expert Machinist and am trying to make a Top Chamfer Feature on the Model below.
View attachment 1350
I can get it to do everything, but I can't control the depth of the cutter. The depth is shown by the red line in the image below. If I allow the default value generated by the software the tip of my tool gets into the vise jaws holding the part.
View attachment 1351
What value do I change and where is it located.
Thanks in advance......

I'm not an Expert Machinist Expert - Pro/NC is more my app - but I would say that your cutter diameter is the culprit. While your model shows a sharp point, there has to be some diameter and TIP csys driving the cutter. The toolpath is being created with the TIP at the bottom of the feature and the tool offset by half the cutter diam....

Regards

I have tried creating tools with both sharp and flat points. Our machinist normally uses a 3/4" countersinking tool with a 82 Deg. point angle to do this operation. Could you send me an example of a tool setup to this? I have not set up a tool library and could use any examples of straight endmills, tappered end mills, or any other standard type tooling available. Also is there any places that some of these tools can be downloaded?

Thanks.....

Go to the ProE downloads page on PTC; there is an entire tooling library there. It may be toward the middle or bottom of a long list; I don't think there is an explicit WF2 version. You need to be on maintenance to have access to this page (Download A Software Update).

I usually sketch the center of the toolpath and "axis shift" it down, but you can do the same thing with a negative profile allowance to get your tool against the part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back