Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

our own tutorials

megaladon

Hi all, I was wanting to send a message to the moderators here.

we get a lot of people asking for free tutorials

why not have a contest on creating your own tutorial. keep em simple to show the point of how to create "whatever"

also could arrange the files here by category ie "learn-toroidal bend, surfacing...."

i think theres so many unique things to do with pro-e im sure none of us have seen it all so if you know a trick and could model it and maybe add notes it would help all the new people and cut down on the "where can i get free tutorials"

any thoughts?

Thats a good idea but they already thought of it. Look at the top of the page and click on Articles.

YES I KNOW ALL 15 OF THEM COVER EVERY ASPECT OF PRO-E

GUESS I WAS THINKING OF HAVING 100'S OF TOPICS

IVE SEEN MOST PRO-E SITES AND I ALWAYS COME BACK TO THIS ONE FOR HELP JUST WANTED TO GIVE IT THAT EXTRA PUSH TO PUT IT OVER THE REST OF THE SITES OUT THERE.

THE OTHER THING THAT WOULD BE GREAT IS IF YOU COULD DOWN LOAD THE PART

NOW OBVIOUSLY I NEED TO ADD A LOT OF TEXT ON HOW TO WALK THRU IT BUT I COULD DO IT EVEN USING PAINT AND THEN I COULD UPLOAD MODEL SO THEY COULD SEE THE REFERENCES

I agree with megaladon. It would be nice to come to this web site and download a tutorial on anything. Even a small tutorial to help someone get started.

hihi,

James Lynch, ( sorry if i spelt name wrong)
was organising something like this. Now i feel bad as i promised to help make some tutorials but finding the time to make a "good tutorial" is hard. There is a big difference with a good tutorial anyone can follow vs just anything "you" can follow. limiting assumed knowledge is well time consuming.

i did try making some tutorials but when i gave them to some friends to do. they found it very difficult to follow, resulting in that endevour being shelved and forgotten.

if you come up with some topics. i'll be happy to try to pump out some basic tutorials.
basic one should require less time, but not always.

chase up James lynch, and see what he came up with regarding his tutorials setup

There are animation possibilities in both GIF and PNG that can make a very lightweight presentation that is universally readable. Sequencing a number of screenshots can be very clear for a lot of tutorials.

If you're really into something difficult then I know of for instance Camtasia to record what is happening on the screen.

Once upon a time I made this (attachment) to show how a zinc cast profile joint was modelled.

Alex

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/4605/mv9wu.gif

I guess my thoughts were this

we would have categories like surfacing,isdx,assembly,etc...

with sub categories such as my example above or others like offsetting using a projected line , or intersected lines to create a surface nothing fancy just a basic function inside 1 feature

the same part could also have other things dealt with such as tangency conditions using copy line "approx xact" just the little things some of us take for granted

maybe a goal would be to keep it under 5 pictures if possible but not critical

I'll try to put 1 together by the end of the week but not sure where to upload it to??

so any new ideas lets hear em
Edited by: megaladon

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">For ProE users with an active Maintenance contract,[/B]

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />http://www.ptc.com/support/support.htm[/B]

I'm suprised at the amount of users that have an active Maintence Contract with PTC that don't use their website. You have to set up a personal account using your PTC account information. They have literally thousands of "How to's" exactly as megaladon explained. Most of these have downloadable sample models to go with them. They (PTC) have also starting to include a link to more instruction videos. Their Photo/Render video is 30min long.

I know this doesn't help users without a Maintenace Contract, but most of the designers in my company did not even know this existed until I showed them.

yup i use that quite a bit in the past yes takes a ptc account for some of them which is why it would be nice to havehereand at the same time they are still doing more than just 1 feature

i guess i need to make a few examples of what im trying to get through to everyone.

just the most basic example so that a high schoolfreshman who just installed pro-e can figure it out. i have seen a lot of tutorials out there that leave out some info such as references seems like there geared toward the everyday user.

your right that is a much better idea

i have been trying to do it for the first time but wheni want to play there is nothing in my directories that will let me open we have just the basic pro package so if that comes with another package let me know or if i need to save the part as something else or tell it to start recording please inform me

Grrr

When I start checking train file I come to this :(

get_non_graphic_input 0 items found trail file failed

That is only and only because I am now on Wildfire 2 and train
file (project) has been done in Wildfire 1

Huuuuuh

I must do all again :(

wow looks like this was tried before and died i do like the trail file idea still. not sure what admin thinks about this continuing?

College professor here: Now you know what we deal with. I would suggest taking a class. Doing a tutorial and getting live time demonstrations, feedback and the ability to get a quick answer are intirely different. I have done lots of tutorials that didn't help me when it came to modeling a new piece. There are lots of tutorials out there. www.SDCpro.com has some good books, there are lots of others as well. PTC has excellent classes but they are a bit pricey. My point is i see no reason to reinvent the wheel. Fact is, pro is a powerful. complex program and reading a list serve and working thru a few tutorials is not enough. You need training. It is so much more efficient.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back