Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Set working Directory...

sandeepmakam

hi ...

i have been facing a small problem ...whenever i start ProE, the
default working directory is set to the 'My Documents' folder.Is there
any way to change the default working directory?

I use Proe Wildfire 2.0.

I heard that we could do so with the help of a filel called config.pro
though iam not what it is and how to do it using that file.

can anyone help me out?

thanx in advance...

Hi-

Assuming you are using windows and starting Pro-E from a shortcut
icon... Right click on the icon and choose "properties" from to pop up
menu. In the properties window is a field labeled "Start In". Put the
location of the folder you want to start in here.

Cheers!

Andy

Dear Sandeep,
There is one option in config.pro in which you can control the handling of parts in respective folders.

override_store_back

Stores all retrieved objects in the current working directory.

no

hi, if you change the start indirectory parameter in the shortcut perhaps it should be good to add in the environment variables in path the loading point of proe...

Non of those will help with the original problem.

By default all Microsoft certified programs have to use the My Computer for the default storarage location in order to get the MS certified stamp.

The solution is to create a config.pro in the <Pro/E_Loadpoint>\text folder and in the config.pro, put this line:

file_open_default_folder working_directory

See the other options in Tools-Options for this setting.

looslib said:
Non of those will help with the original problem.

By default all Microsoft certified programs have to use the My Computer for the default storarage location in order to get the MS certified stamp.

The solution is to create a config.pro in the <Pro/E_Loadpoint>\text folder and in the config.pro, put this line:

See the other options in Tools-Options for this setting.
Not true. The solution Andyboy listed in the second post works perfectly. This is a good way to go if you want to have multiple shortcuts that start Pro/E in different project folders.

We have icons set up for each user with the "Start In" path set to, for example, c:\ProE_Library\ProE_(username)Wildfire(version).

When I launch ProE, it starts in my "Start In" folder. Then I use my "Personal Favorites" to select the working directory to a specific project.

If you elect to use "Personal Favorites", ProE saves the path so you can easily navigate to it at any time. After selecting "Set Working Directory",navigate to the folder you want to save, click the "*" folder (upper right) and select "Save Location". Not sure exactly where Wildfire stores your list. v2001 and previous used to be in the config.pro file located in your "Start In" directory.

My vote goes with Andyboy and Dr Gallup.

I have been using Pro/E for 11 years and have NEVER had it start in My
Documents or under NT4 profiles as I feel these are fundamentally
stupid places. The "Start in" path ALWAYS gets editted to a suitable
location during the instalation process.

Subsequent copying and editting of the start icons allows you to run
multiple unrelated databases of parts and assemblies for different
clients.

In blind pursuit of M$ certification PTC has f**ked up many things in Pro/E

DB

Remember installing ProE on NT? You could specify the start in directory to be, for example: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ProE\

This would change the start in folder depending on the user logging in.

Any one know how to do this for XP?

did you know that

"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ProE\"

can be shortened to

%userprofile%\ProE\

but I still wouldn't use it as the "start in" directory for Pro/E.

DB

I have used the right-click, "start in" trick for the shortcut on the desktop. There still appears to be a bug though. When I click file open, it is STILL my documents. However, when I click set working directory, it is already in the folder that I set as the "start in" directory. So, I click OK, then all subsequent files open from that "start in" directory.

There is something wrong with my config file too. When I click tools>options, it pulls up the correct config file that I have in the "start in" folder. But for some reason, the search paths don't work properly until I manually load that config file. By accident, I discovered that what is showing is not even the session config file. I right clicked a search path and clicked "comment". I left the comment blank, and clicked the pulldown menu to open the "session" config file. The popup menu asked if I wanted to apply the changes I made, so I clicked no. Then the session config pulled up and it shows that it gets the different settings from multiple sources.

config.jpg

What gives? Where the heck is the location current_session.pro???

Current_session is the concatenation of all the config.pro files that have been loaded in your session. Pro/E always loads these files

load_point/text/config.sup
load_point/text/config.pro
startup_dir/config.pro
home_dir/config.pro

Plus you can manually load additional config.pro files. Current_session is just Pro/E's way of showing what is currently set.

You need to add this one:

dr_gallup said:
Current_session is the concatenation of all the config.pro files that have been loaded in your session. Pro/E always loads these files

load_point/text/config.sup
load_point/text/config.pro
startup_dir/config.pro
home_dir/config.pro

Plus you can manually load additional config.pro files. Current_session is just Pro/E's way of showing what is currently set.

You need to add this one:

Thanks. I have another odd problem that I can't figure out. We have a network drive where we keep all the production parts. However, each engineer has his own working directory. Many assemblies in the working directory may be a combination of prototype parts and production parts. The engineer has write access to his working directory, but not the production directory.

So, as an experiment, I put a part into the production directory. I had a search path put in so that the assembly can access the production part. From the working directory, the assembly pull up fine with no problems. Fine up to this point. Then, I tried to see if I can make it mess up, by trying some things that an engineer might. I renamed the production part--Pro allowed me to do that. However, when I tried to save the assembly, it would notlet me, since I don't have write access to the production directory. That's good. So, I changed the part name back to the original. Pro let me do that too.

This is where things get weird. When I exit and relaunch Pro, it says that the component is missing, when the search path to the production driveis clearly there. When I do the trick with the comment, as I described in my previous post, then the status shows in the current session for the search pathis a gray dot, rather than green. If I don't do the comment trick, it shows in current session config shows the search path as green. If I manually load the config file from my start location, it works fine.

Is there a work around for this? I'm a long time Pro user, and am trying to implement it at this company. Since there will be only 3-4 users, I'm trying to avoid getting Intralink. So, I'm trying all kinds of things to avoid problems in the future.
Edited by: baidarka

I've been fiddling with Pro/E a bit more. Basically what is boils down to is that the search paths are not being remembered each time Pro/E launches. What is strange is that everything else in the config file is being remembered. I've eliminated all the different sources of the config file, and there is only one config file now. But, each time I launch Pro/E, I have to open the config file and apply the settings. When I open it, the search path status is showing as a bright green, as if I just added it. But, when I initially open up tools>options, the search path is dark green, as if it is applied. STRANGE!!!
Edited by: baidarka

I don't know whether this will solve that problem, but it may be easier to create a search.pro file with all of the search paths in & set the search_path_file option to your search.pro file.

which version and maintenance are you using? I mean the latest is WF2 M160

so which one do you use?

Israr

robertib said:
I don't know whether this will solve that problem, but it may be easier to create a search.pro file with all of the search paths in & set the search_path_file option to your search.pro file.

I've tried that too. But it worked just one time, then ceased to work. I have to apply the search path file manually, but what's the point of that?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back