Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What’s your communication s/ware?

marker4x4

I'm looking for some recommendation for the editing/communication
(PC<-->CNC Machine) software. We've been using ONECnc for few
years now. It works OK, but sometimes (especially with larger G-Code
files) it randomly skips the CR character somewhere in the file, and two consecutive blocks become
one. No big deal, the machine just stops and alarms out, but it's
annoying.

I f someone could recommend a really good editor/downloader that's
either inexpensive or - better yet - free, I would really appreciate
that.

Thanks!!

Edited by: marker4x4

It sounds to me like you have a cable problem not software. All any software is going to do is handshake. If you are dropping data I don't think changing software will fix this. What is the length of cable? Does it run near flouorescent lights? Do the cables run near welders? I would check these things first before looking at the software issue. You also might try slowing down the baud rate. I run cables over 175 feet with no data drop. I did this with greco and now with predator with the same results. If you are looking for DNC and editor upgrades then the hobby software you are using shop floor automations sells preditor software as well as hardware and cables. IMO this is the bset stuff on the market. I hope this helps you out. If you need help im me.

cncwhiz said:
It sounds to me like you have a cable problem not software. ...

Actually it IS the software. What makes me say so, was that the
character drop ALWAYS occurs in the same place in the codefile.
Intrigued by that, upon opening (in e.g. MS Word) the file that went
through the comm. software there was indeed some weird, unreadable
characters - those little rectangles - here and there. Obviously, the
controller can't read them and as a results skips the CR causing our
problems.

marker4x4,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

There are several free or trial versions on internet for communication, file transfer, DNC software.We use a dos freeware program on some, HyperTerminal (free with MS Windows) on others, and our sheetmetal's CAM DNC for our laser. For Editors, www.edgecam.com has a free downloadable editor that is good (i think its license trigger for a year). Software programming editors work good for CNC programs. There are a lot of these on the internet. www.rym.com has a 30 day trial editor, compare, DNC. www.westnc.com has some RS232 products. (Not in reference to your problem) Cable pin-out is very important in RS232 file transfer. We have several different pin-outs for our machines based on controller type. One particular problem we had was on a Mitsubishi controller using a regular cable with a null-modem that transferred files for 3 years then quit. Machine Tool manufacture was no help, so we had a Mitsubishi service tech come in just to tell us the controller typically didn't like the use of the null-modem and ran a specific pinout for the machine. We make our own cables without the use of any null-modems now. If you need any additional assistance you can send a PM.

Hope this information helps!

We use Cimnet Inc,11 years now without a hitch.Rich White does a great job.

wwww.cimnetinc.com Rick Keystone PM

Marker4X4,

This still could be a data drop problem. I have had those boxes your talking about in my old greco system. The machinr does not read them, at least on fanuc controls. If there is any pattern on the data drop ie the seventh line then this is a data drop issue. If I were checking this problem I would go thru with the editor and remove any thing that looks like it does not belong. Then I would send an recieve the same program and compair file size. If the file size continues to get smaller then you know you have data drop. I also think that if you are getting strange code from the machine I would still think that your signal is not clean. Just my two cents.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back