Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE wildfire 2.0 installation problems

andy100short

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and i'm having some serious problems insalling WF 2.0 Student edition onto a mates computer. Heres the problem:-

It all installs finebut when it comes to rnning the program an error box appears advising that C;\programfiles\proengineer\i486_nt\Obj\Xtop.exe is no a validWin32 application.

I have been ready a lot of other posts about this and as result i have tried to change the compatability of the shortcut to run as win95 file.When i click after doing this the error message does not appear but nothing happens.

I also tried updating drivers for graphics card. Tried to run in 256 colors. Both of these to no avail.

I cant understand this as i have installed the software onto my own computer and itworks fine.the only real difference between the two computers is that his is 2.0Ghz and mine is 2.4Ghz. Also he is running Gforce 4 mx440 and i have a Gforce Ti4200.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? Any help will be much appreciated. Please also try to explain in simplest terms if poss as i'm not really all that clued up when it comes to messing about with this stuff!

Thanks in advance

Shorty

Thanks a lot for that mate and thanks a lot for the easy to follow guide that you drew up, i would have been lost without it.

Unfortunately it didnt resolve the issue. Having spoken to some of my friends who are a lot more clued up with this stuff they seem to think that there may be something missing that proe needs in order to run, like some files or java or something.

Sould this be the case? i had a look at the minimum specs list and nothing appears to be required but if any of you guys know any different please let me know.

Thanks again

Andy

Win95 compatabilty won't help as WF is not supported on Win95.

Was your machine upgraded from Win95 or Win98 to Win XP? There have been issues with upgraded computers because of the Windows directory name.

Neither of those are supported graphics cards. Does the MX440 support OpenGL?

Andy,

Does your ProE student version contain ProMechanica and license?

You have no problem with your hardware, but the installation directory is at different location. That's reason why you can't run your program.

PTC products prefer installation directories by the following:

ProE: C:\proeWildfire 2.0

ProMechanica: C:\mechWildfire 2.0

Lastly, make sure the license is in the same directory or else it doesn't work.

Good luck,

Hoang

Hi guys,

Just tried to reinstall to that directory and copied the license file into it but it hasn't worked im afraid.

I can now only think that it is the Graphics card that is the issue. I have been told that the Mx440 may not support opengl. Might have a go at swapping them round between the machines to see if that works.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys i really appreciate it. If anyone has any more i am willing to give anything a go to try and get it to work. Its fairly important that i get this working cos we use this program for a lot of the coursework for our degree.

Thanks again

Again

Andy,

1)Let uninstallyour software, then remove ProWildfire 2.0 and mechWilfire 2.0 folders from hard drive.

2)Go to Start>Run>type regedit. HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software. Remove PTC folder.

Likewise, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software. Remove PTC folder.

This way will get you a clean start, no other files or folders copies itself from ProE or ProMechanica program that prevent you to launch your ProE or ProMechanica.

3)Reinstall your software, you want installation ProE and ProMechanica directories as C:\ProeWildfire 2.0 and C:\mechWildfire 2.0. Make sure your license should be in same directory as ProE and ProMechanica or else you can't run your software. Again, you don't have hardware problem at all. Good luck and let me know.

Hoang

Removed all files and folders and removed the registry keys like you advised and reinstalled to the directory you suggested.

The license file i am using is one that was emailed to me from PTC, as i have a student version. i can attach this is if it is any use?When i intall the software it asks me to specify the location of the license file before the installation starts and so i cant put in in the C:\proewildfire 2.0 as then the program will not install to this location. If i try it tells me i ave to specify a none existant file path to install to. So what i have done is told it that the license isin the mydocuments folderand also copied this to the proewildfire 2.0 directy after installation as well. it still gives the error message.Will this cause problems?

Also during the installation it is asking me to specify the startup directory. Could this be explained as i'm not too sure what this means. It was defaulted to the My Documents folder so i left it like this.

Also could i be explained what the OLE settings are?

Thanks

Andy,

Problem with PTC licensing is not new, we had our share pain with them as well. If your exitence license file is not working, you should contact them for a new one.

I should mention to you this first, install your license in the same directory as the software. This way, the software will recognize the license and you able to run your software. Make folder call "License". C:\License. Run it, if the sytem prompt ask for host id. It should be like this 00-16-A8-4X-DX-48. That's should automatic generate license is called"license.dat" for you. IF PROE DIDN'T SEE THIS FILE, YOU"LL NOT ABLE RUN THIS SOFTWARE.

During the installation process, the system prompt several options location of license.

You browse for license.dat file in the License folder. Select locked license with no server running andselect Modify current user's environment only. Allow the system default. I think this should work.

To avoid current error, Run uninstall your software and repeat the previous procedure remove PTC folder in your hard drive. Run regedit, locate and remove PTC folders in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Good luck,

Hoang

Hoang,

Now i'm confused!

All i got wasthe email as follows. It came from JourneyED.comwho sell the software. Their instructions were to copy and paste some textinto a notepad file and then point ProE to that particular file once it asked me to during installation:-

"Attached is your Pro/ENGINEER Student Edition license file. To continue your
Student
Edition installation process, save this file to the hard drive of the machine
which you are installing the Pro/ENGINEER Student Edition. The Student Edition
installation program will ask you to specify the path to this file. If you have
problems with your installation process, contact Journey Education at
www.proestudent.com

Note: If the contents of the license file appear below (in the body of this
email and not as an attachment)
you will need to:
1 - Copy the text below, starting with the line "#License Pack for Session ID *"
2 - Launch Microsoft Notepad (or an alternative text editor)
3 - Paste this text into a new text file
4 - and save the file in the c:/temp directory (be sure to note the name of the
file)"</PRE>"</PRE>Does the installation then create its own license.dat file form the information in the .txt file? in this case do you think that </PRE>there could be a problem with the text that they supplied in the email?</PRE>I really appreciate your help, sorry for being a pain!!!!</PRE>Andy</PRE>

Andy,

Don't worry about it. In the past,thelicense.dat process was manually done.Unless, PTC hasimprove their licensing process. The JourneyED installation procedure ispretty similiar I provided. You create a folder or storage license file with the same directory as the software.JourneyED provide you "License Pack for ID". Can you open this file?

If so, here are the steps:

1) Insert CD, the first display should have a host id. The form of 00-11-D4-4X-MX-48. Write it down. Exit.

2)Create a folder for "License Pack ID" file and make sure it has same directory as software. Open "License Pack ID". If your "License Pack ID" file contains two slots, then replace default host id with yours. Select replace all. If this file has one slot, thenenter your host id00-11-D4-4X-MX-48. Make sure you include dashes. Save it and exit.

3)Install your software.

Good luck. If you can't run this software, you can email me directly at [email protected].

Hoang

Pro/E will create the license.dat file from the text file. Your email does not have any of the necessary license info in it. Was your license info in an attachment? If not, you need to get JourneyED.com to send you a valid license.

Hi,

Don't use spaces in your file directories when doing the Installation. We had all sorts of problems with WF2 and Intralink. It was down to the WF2 install creating a directory that ended in \Wildfire 2.0. We renamed & installed to \Wildfire and the problems went away. Always take out spaces or replace with underscores. It may or maynot help with the install, but working directories should follow this guide line.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back