Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing update speed

Jacoolo

Hello

I am curious if hardware has big impact on refreshing time of draiwng
for big assembly. My spec is Dell Precision 650, 1 GB ram. Intel Xeon 3
ghz, and Quadro Fx 1100 128 MB Agp x8. When I work on drawing for big
assembly, for example sectional drawing it takes a while when
refreshing the the view or whole sheet.

If I change a hardware for a better one would it speed up refreshing time much?

I think about video card impact. Is it great involved in this process or not?

The "other" CAD (SE) info I have says that drafts generally don't gain much from the video card. This is because drawings are all 2D vectors and the main speed advantage of professional cards is in handling large sets of 3D information through OpenGL functions. Guess this isn't different for ProE.

Section views (and others) weigh hard on calculation time which is software related, not dependant on video functions. So anything making your computer calculate faster is good (CPU-type, CPU speed, memory throughput).

Large assemblies is where ProE is somewhat different than mainstream CAD because ProE is modelname-oriented and goes "memory first", where others are rather file-oriented whichfocuses on using disk and (first of course) disk-cache. This would mean that ProE doesrelatively betterwith a memory upgrade. As soon as memory is full and things get dumped in virtual memory the bottleneck becomes disk-access and -speed. A swapfile on a dedicated 15000 RPM SCSI disk will be noticeable faster that having it on a shared 7200 RPM IDE drive. So the memory footprint of "large" assemblies plays an important role.

Alex

thanks AHA-D

That is the answer I was looking for. I was asked to find solution for
long time of opening and refreshing drawings. First I thought as the
fastest one would be changing graphic card.

The goal for me is to speed up the work as much as it is possible. I
Think the next step should be(and will be) changing the modeling
approach. I mean - there are many, to many things in Family tables, to
many variants. I think apart of hardware that is also one of bigest
bottleneck of Pro\e

You could try using drawing reps. I have an identical PC to yours and identical problems, after creating drawing reps the load/save and regen times were slashed. The only time that you cannot use them is at printing time when you have to have all views visible. We dont have a problem with this because all our PROE drawings are converted to PDF for printing and viewing outside of the drawing office

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back