Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"unfold" cylidrical surfaces

Amanda_p

Hello!

I need to find a way in order to "unfold a cylidrical sweeped surface . I working with parts, sheetmetal and assembly.

How do I get the development of a surface?

Thanks in advance

Hi Amanda,
in order to help you I need more information.
Anyway if you want to make a cylindrical "surface" you can make it in sheetmetal. Make the cylinder by extrusion having as extruded section a circle but not full ( in fact is an arch with the angle at about 359 degree), after you have made the extrusion you have in sheet metal the option to unbend the cylinder and to get the flate state. You have to select during the unbend a edge which remains fixed ( will be one edge at the end of the arch on cylindrical surface), than choose the UnbendAll option and this is all to unbend. Lather you can use the bend back feature to getback to the cylinder.
Another option is to make the extruded cylinder with a full circle as extruded section, than you have to make a RIP which is in fact a thin cut on the cylinder surface without thickness of cut!! and than again use the unbend option.

If you need more information ask more specified .

regards,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back