Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

variable section sweep

That link is great... but what if you want to create an eliptical dome (think of an egg halved along the long axis).
Variable Section Sweep throws all sorts of errors when your First, Second, and Third trajectories curve into an intersection at the "nose" of my dome.

Please Help

because it's "egg-ed" in both axis...

the center "spine" is not the same curve as the two edges.

Let me revise my question... can I create a variable section sweep, where one end of the curves are co-incident.
Going back to the half-egg - all the lines come together at one end, but Pro/E throws and error. I'll post a picture soon

I can get that far, but it's not quite right. Here is a view of the "nose". You can see in this view with the surface selected how I've had to leave my trajectory lines a space apart - not quite intesecting. I realize I can make this gap approach zero, but is there a way to do this perfectly? I tried boundary blend first, but it didn't create quite what I wanted either - and I couldn't drill holes in the surface it produced... but that's another issue.
View attachment 1356

Hello knigjes, I had the same experience, but in my case the 'nose' didn't matter. However, perhaps you could try making the shape as a half (perpendicular to the long axis) and then mirror it so that the two 'noses' are coincident? That would result in the two ends both having converging lines..

it looks like I am looking to make an elipsoid... or at least I could start there and modify it. Any suggestions wsylvester?

I've created the part I need, making my lines .002 in. from convergent, and since I'm machining it from aluminum, I'll just buff out the little blemish.
However I made the part shown above to learn the technique in the hope of CAD'ing out a helmet over Thanksgiving. Any hints?

Why not try a "swept blend". All you have to do is make sure that in your "sketch" of the trajectory, you have a vertex at every point you want a cross section. Of coursealso make sure that the number of elements in each cross section is the same.

knigjes said:
... but what if you want to create an eliptical dome ...

Ellipsoid with VSS. I usually try to avoid creating singular edges 'cause they often create problems with downstream features such as offsets, etc. but this seems to work ok (maybe due to conic arc section?). Larn sumpin nu ever day.
smiley2.gif

2005-12-23_184108_5-4-3_ellipsoid_wf2.prt.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back