Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RSI / recommend Input device

ben

Hi

I currently use an old logitech3 button mouse as well as plenty of mapkeys activating functions for cad modelling in Pro/E WF2.

My right hand/mouse hand and armarestarting to hurt. I beleive a lot of it is due to strain on middle finger whilst depressing mouse middle button for pan, zoom.

Can anybody recommend a setup for reducing strain? Been reading a lot about the spacepucks and spaceballs

Has anybody used electronic pen/pad setup?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Ben

Whenever I use a Logitech mouse for a day my index finger could lift 500 lbs.
smiley2.gif

I have never had comfortable Logitech mouse.

I went with a traditional Microsoft wireless 3 button mouse and found it alot more comfortable.

As for other devices i can't help you.

I've been using a spaceball for at least a decade, currently have a 4000 FLX which is no longer available. Before the days of pan/zoom/spin on the mouse (R18?) the spaceball was indispensable. Now it is nice but hardly necessary. It is good for really precise rotation and working on models, not that good for panning & zooming in drawings. The best thing is that it lets you simultaneously rotate with the space ball & pick with the mouse.

I'm also using Logitech old mouse, and I was also having problems with my arm hurt. There are few thing you can do it, you can buy ergonomic mouse pad with relief for hand, also try when using mouse not to press so hard because then you tired your muscles (and thats why arm hurt). About other mouses I don't know I didn't use them. I have also spaceball and it is fine, but then I use it only about 30%, and mouse 70% of working time, but spaceball is great to assign map keys.

Thanks to all that havereplied so far.

This is a serious issue that effects all pro and cadusers. it's good to hear others experience and tips...i was actually surprised that there wasn't a similar post on forum! keep them coming...

ben

The position you're sitting and all kind of factors regarding seat height, desk height, ... also play an important role. At a given time I was plagued with pain from the hand all the way up to the shoulder. When "watching" myself I realized that lots of the time I was pulling up my arm so that only the wrist was touching the desk. Adjusting seat height and cleaning up the desk gave me enough room to rest my elbow and find a more relaxed way of sitting. The pain gradually went away but I had to grow some kind of "posture awareness" to avoid working with the entire arm under stress. There's a lot you can do with wrist and finger movement only, while the rest of the arm rests relaxed on the desk.

Alex

I agree with AHA-D, I have my complete forearm and elbow supported by my desk. I use a corner piece for the monitor & keyboard with a table on each side at the same height. That gives me lots of space to spread out drawings on the left and full support for my right arm. Chair heigth is important too.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back