Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hidden assembly features

jwalk1988

I have an assembly with assembly features (cuts made on the assembly)

Is there a way to hide the assembly features in some of the views without supressing them in the main assembly model? I want to show varius stages of the assembly from weldment to machining.

I prefer to use family tables but a lot of people use simplified reps. Simplified reps are really just family tables with the table hidden from the user.

I tried to use the simplified representation, but I could not determine a way to exclude the assembly features. It is easy to exclude the components but not assembly features.

It seems like there should be an easy way to exclude certain assembly features in a drawing view, but I haven't dound it yet.

I worked with Inventor in the past 3 years, and it was able to easily hide features per view.

In the assembly go to tools/family table. In the family table window pick insert/columns. In the Family Items window, pick features. Add the features you want to control. Then in the family table window create new instances and change the status from to Y(es) or N(o) for each feature in each instance. Go back to the drawing, add the model instance(s) to the drawing models, the the model to the instance you need and create the drawing views.

It works, but it seems like a very round about way of ding it. It also creates duplicate assembly files, when it doesn't seem like taht should be necessary.

Thanks for your help

It is round about but it does not create duplicate assembly files, everything is in the generic. Are you talking about the instance accelerator files? I never create them, all they do is fill up your disk. Anytime there is a change they get out of date and have to be recalculated anyway. Set save_instance_accelerator to none in your config.pro to get rid of them. Simplified reps do the exact same thing as family tables except some of the mess is hidden from the user.

There used to be option available for simplifying views where you could "suppress" some features, but in WF I think whis option is not available anymore (or at least I couldn't find it)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back